poly count limit?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 4282_deleted, Aug 3, 2008.

1. 4282_deleted
    4282_deleted Member
    i hope this is the right place to put this if not "sorry"

i was just wondering if there are any poly limits for 3d printing.

i do a lot of my modeling in Zbrush at poly counts between 1-4 million polygons will such models be able to be printed?

also as most models at these poly counts are large files is it ok to upload the model in a zipped file or is a 3d format the only way.

and finaly how much detail can be shown in a printed model.

thanks for reading this i hope they are not stupid questions

2. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi HD render man,

in theory our printers can print models with many millions of poly's. However we have to check what you upload and that is the hairy bit. Currently our automated upload system can cope with about 500k poly's. We are working hard to improve that. If you have a model that you would like to have printed, you can reduce poly's or share it with us through our service[at]shapeways[dot]com email.

regards,
    Peter

3. 4282_deleted
    4282_deleted Member
    thank you for the reply.
    i don't currently have a model to be printed, however i probably will have soon.
    but just out of interest if i where to have a very detailed model printed how well would fine detail show up. i.e. is there any point uploading a super high res model, or would i get just as good result with a mid res model?

thanks again for the help

4. 4077_deleted
    4077_deleted Member
    That probably depends on the size of the model and the "grain" of the print, but I can tell you that the first model I had printed, a t-rex in wax, it must have been 7" long, maybe more. I was surprised. I could see every polygon all the way to the tip of the tail.

More recent objects I've had done were from ZBrush 2.5. Not super detailed, but more polygons than I would have used in modeling in the past. They were only printed at about 2" to 3", out of a reasonably good plastic. One was probably comparable to Shapeways' cream robust material, judging by the description and hilights, and the other was printed in a translucent orange plastic, somewhat darker than the translucent plastic they offer here. On both of these models all polygon-level detail is lost to the "grain" of the print. I consider this a worthwhile level of detail.

5. 4282_deleted
    4282_deleted Member
    thank you, for the reply

you have given me some good points to think about when making a model for print i spose its logical that the bigger the object the better the detail will show.

i think ill have to work out a good balance between cost and detail on a model by model basi.

thanks again for the help