Model preparation for export to Shapeway

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 297193_deleted, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Hello,
    I use Cinema 4D, zBrush for modeling/sculpting, for character creation (especially but not only).
    I am new here and have some doubts on how to prepare my mesh for export it here on Shapeways.

Suppose I have a bust (human male or what ever),
    usualy, in my workflow,
    the final bust I obtained is composed of a low poly base mesh and its map of normals, displacement, etc.. (I have also higher polycount versions model and better details too that I can export from zBrsh if it is needed)

The question(s) is do I export my low poly with its maps ? (maybe no but I'm not sur at all)
    Or
    Do I send one of my high levels polycount model ? I' ve understood that the number should be beetween 100 000 and 500 000polygones, and 60mb ?
    So I don' t send diffuse maps, normal maps and so on ? (of course maybe ?!) Or just the model itself ?

What about topology ? Do you prefer 'good' topology or it does not matter for printing ? (quadrangles ? triangles ?)

If I keep the human bust example,
    in general it is vaccium inside, I mean only the shape itself, no thickness. Do I have to add a thickness to the model ?
    I usually use 'fibers mesh', and or 'hairs' module, wich is polygnoal objects (lot)
    is it acceptable to upload it with our model ? Or is it a really noob question ?

Anyway, thank you by advance.

ps: sorry for my low level english and my noob questions.
    EDIT: zBrush has its own print exporter 'plugin' as I 've understood.
    tutorial about hollow a bust in zbrush for 3d printing:
    Part2
    by Mold3D.
    He shows us 2 method for hollowing model like bust.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  2. My experience is that everything has to be polygons. Doesn't matter what kind, because the conversion of the file to an .stl for printing will tesselate it into triangles (and all polygons can be converted to some number of triangles).

And, it has to be hi-res (high-poly) to carry the detail.

Most printing applications don't do diffusion, occlusion, normal, displacement, bump, etc. Mapping conversion.

I know in Maya and 3ds Max they have "Convert Map to Polygons" that can convert various detail maps to actual geometry.

And, as long as the model is completely enclosed, it will print.

You can make it "Hollow," but you then need to include a hole for the excess material to be removed from.

Also, to make it hollow, you must give "thickness" to the walls.

Sometimes this can be done by simply reversing the normals on the model, then selecting all of the faces, and extruding inward.

This will give your inner faces the correctly facing normals for printing. But... You will need to select all of the exterior faces and flip their normals back to outside (some applications do this for you). And, after you have the inner and outer walls, just find a place that is hidden (usually the base) where you can create a hole so that the excess material/medium can be emptied/removed.

I am relatively new to 3d printing proper (we do some where I work, but it is for industrial/architectural purposes), but most of my experience is with CAD-CAM Milling. Many of the workflows for finishing a model for instantiation are the same, though.

MB

MB

3. hello,
    I am coming back, I apologize for my absence.

Thank you very much for your reply. very instructive.

To resume:
    - topolgy is not important
    - no need of textures maps, or polypaint or uv's
    - high resolution is preferable or required because of details.
    - hollowing is not required if the mesh is closed.

Thank you again Matthew

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016