Manifold Error Help

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by tr3sca, Feb 25, 2010.

1. tr3sca
    tr3sca Member
    I am really new to the 3D printing process, but I am having quite a bit of trouble keeping my models manifold. I have made quite a bit of 3D models for drafting purposes if that helps at all.

Recently though, I made a design I am extremely proud of for my girlfriend's birthday she seems to be in love with it as well... the only problem is... I am really not in the mood to redesign the entire thing again... for the 14th time... (<-actual amount of tries to get it right...)

I am aware that there are a lot of errors for manifold structure, because of this any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    ~Tr3sca

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. iguffick
    iguffick Member
    I've had a look at your model. I only found a single non-manifold and I've fixed that.
    You also had some vertices very close to each other, this can sometimes cause problems with the STL import resulting in a non-manifold. They did not add to the shape of the mesh, so I've merged them.

I haven't done any checks on scale or wall thickness as I have no idea what size you intend this to be.

Regards,
    Ian.

Edit ... I've just noticed after posting that my modified STL file is half the size of your original! I've looked at both in MeshLab and they appear to be the same ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  3. tr3sca
    tr3sca Member
    I don't know what is going on with the size problem... it seems fine in both meshlabs and sketchup on my machine, but I just attempted to upload it to shapeways and it says my dimensioning is too small.

The dimensioning on my machine reads 2" x 1 3/16" x .20 (1/5)". I worked on this thing sideways it looks like, could that have affected my design? And thank you, the manifold error was removed. I noticed that you added diagonals between each polygon, is that something I should take note to? I deeply appreciate your help with this.

Thank you
    ~Tr3sca

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. iguffick
    iguffick Member
    When you uploaded the design, did you click the 'scale: inches' tick box?

I normally upload STL files in metres, maybe try rescaling.

The diagonals in the polygons are because one of the exporters or importers will have converted all polygons into triangles. Nothing to worry about.

Regards,
    Ian.

5. tr3sca
    tr3sca Member
    Alright, size and everything is alright now. But I have a major problem, it looks like wall thickness came in to play and many pieces of my model were chopped up, the display image in my gallery shows a really messed up image. Any suggestions on how i could fix this?

link> https://www.shapeways.com/detail?model=96262

I am sorry for bothering you. But I can not express how grateful I am for your help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    We can't see the model yet, it's private?
    But probably nothing to worry about, the previews are usually messed up due to a lame smoothing algorithm.
    They're working hard on improving that though.Try to download Meshlab, and see how it looks in there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. tr3sca
    tr3sca Member
    It views fine in meshlabs... so I am hoping that it works fine with their printer. I am sorry for any trouble that I am putting people through.

Here is what the model looks like currently from their viewer.
    [​IMG]

I am already very grateful for the services they are offering, when I found this site, it literally made my day when I realized the possibilities for it.

Thank you all once again.
    ~Tr3sca

8. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Don't worry, no trouble, and welcome to the club :)

9. tr3sca
    tr3sca Member
    Alright... I would like to personally thank both of you. Ian, thank you so very much for helping me clear up my model. Vertox, thank you for clearing up some things for me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you so very much,
    ~Tr3sca