How to replicate the grainy plastic texture of a car's dashboard?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by TonyRR, Sep 1, 2014.

1. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Hi all.

I'm wondering if there's any way to replicate the grainy surface of the dashboards that we can found in our cars. I've to design a small part with this texture but I can't find the way. This part has a draw that's polished, without grainy texture. The draw isn't engraved: the loss of the grain in the surface draws the shape.
    Any hint?

I've tested a technique on Meshmixer and the result file is way too big!!!

2. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I can't visualize what the object is but can you represent the grain with a mathematical function? Maybe you could use something like the ShapeJS script, OpenSCAD, etc. to define the basic object and modulate the surface with the pattern equation? With ShapeJS you might be able to input a gray scale image to define the pattern, sort of like the 2D to 3D tool or the ornament generator. I'm guessing there are easier solutions using more advanced software packages but I seem to end up doing things the hard way...

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    With Blender you can use the Displace Modifier to use a Texture to change the surface of a Mesh.

Create a Mesh with enough detail that the displacement can be effective, get an image of the 'grainy' surface and you're good to go.

4. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Thanks!

I've tested that function on Blender, but I don't have enough faces to apply the texture -the resulting bumps are too big!!-. Maybe I have to tessellate more the surface. I've to apply a modifier to divide the faces by 5 or more... Which would be the best modifier for that? Subdivision, triangulate?
    I'm really starting with Blender... I'm normally using the more simpler 123D...

5. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Good suggestion!

I've thought in that but I've never used ShapeJS or OpenScad. I have to learn more, and more, and more...Any hint, help, will be much appreciated!

Many thanks for your help and attention guys!

Cheers

6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    If your surface is at all complex, then Subdivision Surface (SubSurf) is the Modifier to use on the object.

On the other hand, if you just have a plane, you can go into Edit Mode, select all Vertices and use Subdivide from the Mesh menu (normally) on the left

7. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Many thanks!

I will try your hints.

Cheers

8. Octas
    Octas Member
    If you have Zbrush, you can easily replicate the same effect:
    Zbrush allows you to use custom displacement maps to paint over your mesh or surface. You can use textures or custom brushes to paint fine details into your mesh.
    You just Google for free displacement maps, textures, or brushes for Zbrush that has the properties you're looking for. You can make your own out of picture, I'm not sure how...But I think you can use a picture of the texture (Like the grainy plastic you're talking about, if the pic is well lit I think it'll work but I'm not sure)
    I'm not a Zbrush user myself, but that's what I know :)

9. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Many thanks.

I don't have ZBrush, but I've read that's very useful on soft surfaces.
    Many thanks for all your replies!