Multiplicator !

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    The Multiplicator Wheels arrived!

Actually I designed it in 3 sets. The 3 wheels are in Full Color Sandstone because I needed to write numbers, the axes are in Strong and Flexible and I initially though that the 6 gears should be in Frosted Ultra Detail, but I printed them in Strong and Flexible too and they work perfectly.

The Multiplicator (as you can guess) can perform simple multiplications (and divisions). Turn the two outer wheels to put the two numbers you want to multiply one in front of the other and the central wheel will show the result.
    This gadget is based on logarithm scales (like the slide rules) and an internal gear mechanism similar to the differential of a car.

Check this video to see how to assemble the different parts, and also some simple calculations (for instance 3-6-2 aligned means that 3x2=6 or 6/3=2 or 6/2=3).

Note that this model is still "work in progress" (the image of the numbers needs to be enhanced in particular)

Here are the 3 different parts:
    - Wheels: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2500558/
    - Axes: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2500557/
    - Gears: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2500556/

IMG_7173.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG

This is probably one of the best gadget I designed, and the first print worked perfectly. I am more than happy.

2. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    Very nice, it looks like you got the tolerances between materials just right. Good use of coloured SF too, and I love the little split washers holding it all together. Good work!

Steven

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks Steven.

For maintaining all the pieces attached, I had basically 3 plans. The first one was based on cuts on the axis with the use of the flexibility of Nylon, the other two ones were based on washers of different shapes. One of them worked (the one with the washer having the biggest split).
    IMG_7176.JPG
    I like the idea of a very small piece that prevents this big mechanism from falling apart...
    Regarding the clearances of Nylon vs. Nylon (axes and gears) and of Nylon vs. Sandstone, I think I have been very lucky.

I am now working on a smaller version, that will be more affordable.
    And hopefully, after that, I will be able to make a brass version (I am afraid this one will be more expensive instead).

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Check this post to see the Kid Edition I am currently working on....
    Multiplicator_Mini.jpg

5. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    I see a 1/2 scale version in brass... that would be awesome. You could still make the washers out of WSF, have the digits 'etched' on the rings... I don't recall seeing any mechanical assemblies made out of metal on SW... the only thing that springs to mind is this.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

S.

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yes for brass, etching numbers and lines was the plan. For the axis, after considering on my side too having the washer in Strong and Flexible, I am now more convinced that a standard bolt with a nut could do the job.
    This being said I have never seen mechanism in Brass either. I guess this is because you cannot print several parts into the same file and the handling fee is quite high (even by putting symmetrical parts two by two it would be $100 of handling fees...). This is different for Steel for which you can find some models (several parts into the same model are possible). But I am afraid that gears won't work in Steel, because of the lack of accuracy.
    That why I prefer for now trying to enhance my plastic model before trying brass...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    This is very cool!

Kimberly