If you don't read the blog, maybe this is interesting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmLachDesigns, Aug 24, 2014.

1. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yeah, good post! Everybody needs to know about this! This is big! Hasbro is the world largest toy company with hundreds of millions of customers worldwide!

I'm wondering if I can make a mini Scrabble game out of FCP!?? HAHAHA! :D I already started making scrabble based jewelry and while I was doing that I thought, HEY! I can make a miniature Scrabble game! HAHA! :D

What are the boundaries? Can we use their logos here on Shapeways in our shops? Can we say "Official Hasbro" in our description or title? I'd hate to spend countless hours designing something only to have it rejected because of something they forgot to mention. :D

3. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Awesome to see this excitement!

Here's the official word from Hasbro:

Under the Artist Agreement, the artist is allowed "to display a 2D image, or 3D render (the "Images") of your Design on your own website, blog, etc. in order to promote the availability on SFA your Design and Products." I consulted with Deb, and we think this allows the artist to display an image of their product with a brief, factual description of it.

So "Mini Scrabble Board for SuperFanArt" would be fine, but "official Hasbro" would not. As a general matter, I would prohibit them from using "official," "exclusive" and "genuine," as well as terms that are more sell-oriented, like "limited time" or "limited quantity."

Let us know if you have any other questions!

4. UniverseBecoming
    Thanks Sav for looking into this! :D

I now understand that words like official, exclusive, genuine are restricted, but how about this? Lets say a designer were to design a Hasbro related product, will we be able to put the word Hasbro anywhere on the product?

Also, in our shops, are we aloud to use the word Hasbro in the description? And related to this question, what about Hasbro subsidiaries like Wizards Of The Coast? Could I say something like, Dungeons & Dragons Wizards Of The Coast Belt Buckle as a product title or would I need to just keep it to Dungeons & Dragons Belt Buckle?

Also, are we going to get a special shop for selling our Hasbro products? I noticed that the five designers that are already approved seem to have the same banner. The reason I asked is I was thinking of creating a shop just for Hasbro products and was trying to think of a good name for it, but if a shop is provided to us then I'll stop thinking about that. :)

5. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Regarding putting Hasbro on the product, we're clarifying that right now, but since it's not on may of their products, I would say it might not be the best idea.

The goal is to allow the Shapeways community create designs based off of Hasbro properties. Over time, we hope to continue to expand the brands open to super fan art designers, but for this particular phase, Wizards of the Coast is not named as brand open to artist interpretation in the agreement.

Regarding special shops, the choice is yours. If you have existing models that are already tagged for review by Hasbro, I wouldn't open a separate shop and generate new model ids & tags, more out of interest of your time than anything else. If you're designing new models for this collaboration specifically, you can open up your own Super Fan Art theme inspired shop. We are not going to set up shops for designers participating moving forward as that would be difficult to scale, though we're happy to help and provide feedback.

Hope this helps, James!

6. UniverseBecoming
    True true about putting the name Hasbro on products. I think they should though being that Hasbro is an icon of society. :D That and there are collectors of Hasbro products, so it would help collectors know what they have. It's fine though, I don't put my brand on my products either so it's nothing new to me not doing it.

Wizards of the Coast is basically Dungeons & Dragons, which is one of the brands open to SuperFanArt. Hasbro bought the company in 1999. :D

K, I'll keep thinking of a good name for a shop then...... *thinks*

Yes! You've been a big help! Thank you so much!

7. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Happy it helped, James!

And yes, I'm familiar with the Wizards of the Coast acquisition, just being sensitive to artists agreement that those of you submitting have signed. Sometimes with the law the only way to read it is hyper-literal :D.

Looking forward to seeing what you make, as always!

Cheers,
    Savannah

8. UniverseBecoming
    Of course you knew! You're one of the sharpest persons here! :D

I was hoping I had one upped ya. :p

Yeah, I'm going to get back to it right now. So many ideas, yet only one body to make them into realities. :)

9. janecreating
    janecreating Member
    HI there to all the participants of this conversation :)

Since I was not familiar with Hasbro brand up until now :) I was wondering if gold jewelry inspired by "My little pony" is something they would even consider?
    I guess this question is referred to Savannah mostly.

Thank you for your help. I am newcomer on Shapeways and will be really glad to get some general feedback on my shop :)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/janecreating

Thank you guys

10. UniverseBecoming
    Hi Janecreating! Welcome to the Shapeways forum! :D I took a look at your shop and I like what you've done so far. Very creative and classy.

I'm sure Sav will respond with something if she sees this, but basically as I'm learning about it too, it's anything that is not offensive is being allowed. You can see what people are creating and submitting here.

Yeah, I am most definitely going to create a number of jewelry pieces for most of the allowed brands. For now though, I've just been working on the cartoon aspect of the My Little Pony brand.

11. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Hi @janecreating! Welcome to Shapeways! We're excited to have you in the fam :)

Yes, any design that isn't offensive or sexual is a welcome entry! I think charms would be a fabulous idea.

Your shop is looking great! I like your banner and am especially a fan of the flower bird

Cheers,
    Savannah

12. janecreating
    janecreating Member
    Hello, Universe :)

Thank you for your thought on the Hasbro topic. Thank you very much for your positive feedback on my store, I appreciate it a lot.
    Will keep working.

13. janecreating
    janecreating Member

Savannah,

Thank you for the information. I will definitely try making a few charms of My Little Pony in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback on the store. I will be working on additional birds in my collection :)

14. UniverseBecoming
    Ok, so here is my first SuperFanArt creation.

Ponyville Dreamworks
    [​IMG]

Since I didn't have enough time to complete this before September 9th I'm wondering what happens now?

15. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    ahww cute!

16. UniverseBecoming
    Glad you think it's cute Mitchell! :D Here's a scene where he gets a kiss from Rarity. I used this scene and some other kissing scenes to compile this freeze frame together. :)

So, what's going to happen with the SuperFanArt submissions that are submitted after September 9th?

17. UniverseBecoming
    Who is in charge of SuperFanArt at Shapeways? Can someone there PM me their contact information? I need to find out what is going on so I can make plans. :)

18. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hey James,

There are a few of us work with Hasbro and right now they are in the midst of moderating all the submissions.

So until we have a concrete update from them (which I'm pushing for this week!), all I can say is hang tight.

:/
    Natalia

19. UniverseBecoming
    Hi Natalia! :D

Good to hear. I'll look for a response.

I'm disappointed that I didn't throw something together as a submission just so I could be in the loop for knowing what's going on. At this point, even though you say you are awaiting answers from Hasbro, I feel like my excitement is for SuperFanArt is deflated. I saw the small number of submissions that were made before September 9th, so I know there wasn't much of an effort that needed to be made to handle those. I would have liked to have seen some kind of statement from Shapeways or Hasbro that accounted for my situation where the developers would have said something like, "Submissions after September 9th will be process within 30 days." or something like that. Something other than nothing. That way I wouldn't be feeling like I just spent 60 hours on a dead end. :)

20. Any news on this and the submissions?

I thought it was postponed until the new year and was wondering if anything had happened?