What the heck happens with UPS?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 47641_deleted, Aug 21, 2014.

1. 47641_deleted
    47641_deleted Member
    Today the day dawns and I wake up happy and content because a packet from Shapeways is about coming home.

I'm going to work knowing that the package is now in my city and will be delivered sometime today.

Delivery times in Spain are as stupid as the normal behavior of most of spanish courier companies as well as job times of most companies, because everything in this country is usually stupid... so I hope UPS call me along the morning to say that they have been unable to make the delivery.

Obviously, people usually are working at 10am, so please don't deliver always at this time when nobody is at home... but courier companies dont' mind customers. May be they don't mind anything.

Hours go by and I decide to take a look at the website of UPS and there is an update!.

They have get at my home but not having anyone there ... they have delivered the package somewhere that I do not know, because they do not give further information about this misterious place.

What the heck is this?!?!

So I leave the office to go for dinner at 14 greatly embarrassed (yes, here in Spain our stupid job schedules are divided into 9am-14pm and 16-19 pm), and opening my mailbox I found an UPS piece of paper where they say the package is in a commerce nearby.

Nearby? I have to spend 15 minute walking to and 15 to return home. Why have I to walk and lost my time if I pay not cheap shipment costs that include delivery at home?!

But the surprise turns into anger when I read the opening times where the package has been left is 9-14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    9-14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!??!?

But how is this possible?

If I work from 9 to 14 how the heck and I'm going to pick up the package between 9 and 14?

The logic customer service would be that the UPS made a phone call, as did previously, and delivery be requested at an appropriate time or at my work place.

But not. Of course not. It turns out that my package has been delivered in a shop where I can not go to pick it up.

I could go on Saturday, indeed. But this weekend I'm out of town and logically will not cancel the trip for this circumstance.

I have the option of calling to a pay phone. Yes. One of those number phones at a cost of 1 € / min where they put a horrible song and make you wait half an hour while your bank account becomes overdrawn.

I know Shapeways has nothing to do with the behavior of UPS but this is completely outrageous and I really want to start breaking things, breaking a lot of things!.

My skin is turning green and I want to seek and destroy!

Do I have to get away from my job and get me fired to get the package? Or Should I pay a third company to pick the package up and bring it at me home?

Really, really, this can not be happening

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not sure how to react to this world-shattering catastrophy. Depending on your work you could check if your employer allows delivery of personal items to the front desk, or arrange to show up at work a bit later or leave a bit earlier to pick up your parcel. Or get a friend or family member with less tight work shedule to pick it up (though that might require some sort of written authorisation, check your local UPS rules) or even to receive parcels for you in the future. At least so far your shipment does not appear to have been lost or destroyed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yes, I had the same issue in France. UPS is unable to deliver reliably a package to individuals (at least those with a day-job). Solved by changing the address to the one of the reception of my company.
    Good luck.

4. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    I have different experience in my country regarding UPS , they called me and only delivered with signed electronic device. Maybe here are more serious about things .... there are lots of international packages flying in.

Ore it is a case of mad worker ? That hate his job ?

5. mkroeker
    Probably depends on the value of the shipment whether they require your signature or just any signature to prove that they handed over your parcel to Vlad Dracul yesterday evening.

6. 47641_deleted
    47641_deleted Member
    Don't you think that if either of those options were possible I would have saved the time it took me to write the message and would already have the solution to the problem?

The closest person is my father. Should he drive the car 70 km to my city, try to park in the downtown where I live (which is not free) and re-do another 70 km. coming back home? (gasoline is not either free...)

The other only solution at this moment is to wait until next Saturday.

So I have to ask for favours or just lose 10 more days, and indeed, you're right, the package has not been destroyed or disappeared (I hope, because in reality I do not know).

So, whenever I place an order to Shapeways I'll have to put up with this kind of customer service?
    That's the real problem and what really pisses me off because there is no alternative to Shapeways as far as I know.

7. mkroeker
    Well, UPS or their local driver may even have thought they are doing you a favor by dropping it off in your neighborhood (or could it be a new guy not yet familiar with their rules and/or trying to avoid extra trips to your door? No other means to complain to your local UPS office than their expensive phone hotline ?).
    Would other courier services or your national Correos handle this situation better ? Shapeways seems to be working towards offering more delivery options so there may be a long-term solution at some point. BTW trust me green skin is perfectly healthy, you may be showing symptoms of addictive manufacturing however.

8. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    The "alternative" use UPS too ... and UPS in some places land parcels in rain in some places in hands in other places to the dust bin ...

@mkroeker Vlad Dracu` =)))

9. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    UPS is terrible, has always been terrible, and will presumably continue to be terrible. You work to THEIR schedule, not the other way around, and the one and only reason to use UPS - home delivery - is now disappearing as they get rid of their '3 attempts' system and now only make one attempt or even no attempts to deliver it at home before taking it to a UPS store or similar facility.

10. mkroeker
    Now you are talking about UPS Canada, if I remember correctly. Over here, UPS is fast and reliable in my experience. (Though they will have you drive across town to collect a parcel too, after repeated failed delivery attempts - I think you can sign up online with them to redirect deliveries.)