Turning an STL file into a DAE file?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by nylarac, Aug 8, 2014.

1. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    I want to have the model attached in color but I have run into a few problems. The file has errors which I have corrected using netfabb, but only as an STL file. I can't find a converter/corrector for DAE files, if one even exists. I need to find a way to obtain to corrected file as a DAE.
    edit: I also attached the unedited dae file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

Here is your .dae converted file.

You can do it with blender (free software).

Probably it has an issue yet, because netfabb can't open it.

You have to increase the "moustache" thickness or shapeways go reject printing.

Tell me if you have questions about blender. I'm not a guru on this software, but I know how to use it to resize models and convert files.

Best regards

Luis

Attached Files:

3. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    Thank you!! I'm about to go out but I'll check it out once I get back home and contact you with the results/questions.

4. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    The problem I'm having is that I have a chromebook, so I can't use any programs, only in-browser applications. So I'm not sure how I could increase the size of the tusks/mustache with the corrected DAE file. I use 3D tin, but I can't open files that were edited using an external website. I tried using tinkercad but it gets rid of the color.

5. HOLDEN8702
    Hi.

You can modify it and I'll convert your .stl modified into .dae...

Or you can upload your .stl, click on "fix thin walls" tool from the shapeways "wall thickness tool", and you'll send me the .stl fixed to convert it into .dae.

Your move.

regards

Luis

6. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    Won't it still lose the color though once I download it as an STL? Or is that only when I upload it here?
    Sorry, I literally just started making models about 3 days ago so I'm very very new at this.

Attached Files:

7. HOLDEN8702
    Hi.

Well, .stl have no color.

For colored files, has to be a .dae, .wrl, .x3d.

If you have uploaded an .stl, the information about color can't be saved into it.

Regards

Luis

8. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    So is it possible to correct an DAE file?

9. HOLDEN8702
    But I don't know how it affect to the color, if you have applied before.

I make my color models with two methods:

- aplying color into blender object by object in plain colors (every object is a part cut from the whole model), tedious but I like the results. Saved and uploaded as .x3d.

- painting in Sculptris my previously modelled figure (also in sculptris), and saving the model as .obj and the color as a .png related both of them, to convert to .x3d in blender and uploaded the .png textures in the same .zip.

10. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    Man, this is more complicated then I thought. I'll probably try the first one.

11. nylarac
    nylarac Member
    I still can't figure out how to work this. ):