Jewelry Designers

Discussion in 'Other Interest Groups' started by 514069_deleted, Aug 4, 2014.

1. I'm always inspired by the fantastic jewelry that designers are creating on Shapeways in a huge range of materials, from precious metals to strong flexible plastic, as well as casting wax to create jewelry in even a larger range of metals. I look forward to the discussion!
    Best,
    Eleanor

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    To start a discussion, I'm a bit stuck on men jewelry. I want to design jewelry for men, maybe for my male friends, nephew or just for sale. However, I find it really hard to come up with ideas that aren't too feminine or ordinar. Most available male jewelry in shops that I do like contain leather and interlocked parts. I find that the steel Shapeways offer suits men jewelry with the raw surface and dark colours, but it's hard to make a one piece jewelry with it.
    Does someone has experience with male jewelry? What kind of jewelry works (rings, bracelets, pendants?) and what materials do you use? And what kind of style?

3. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Regarding style and being a man.

1. Men don`t like in general to wear "floral" type of designs of any form.
    2. Bold forms / Hard surface thing of modelling (think abstract organic /inorganic)
    3. Anything that does not fit a woman to wear

Cufflinks , Pendants , Brooch ,Rings , Tie Pins , Cuffs (rare) are the main jewelry that any man can wear.

Topics can go from : Hip-Hop culture / Rock Culture / Custom motorcycle culture /Cars

Subculture related things and "muerte" type of designs : skulls , bones , and stuff.

Good way it is to ask some of your friends about what they like and what will want to wear : for pendants <- the most personal jewelry

Here a search I did not do before this thread http://shpws.me/vrZM o_O new stuff

I personally like floral design , but not to wear them ...looks good on women.

Still scratching my head to make a cuff for myself ...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    ^Good reply.

5. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I decided to design a tie pin for my boyfriends birthday. My progress thus far:
    tie pin.jpg
    Not great work, still needs improvement.
    The question is now, asking him for feedback in order to create something that fits his preference perfectly, or keeping it a surprise..

6. numarul7
    1. Make the tail longer.

I personally like the mesh one. But for busyness type "chevron" themed one and sword like one define "power" and are better for that type.

If you plan to make it in polished metal it is better to model some with some metal shader to study how light pass on it , so you know it does not fail in light.

7. numarul7
    Here a little concept.

DSC_0003.JPG

8. UniverseBecoming
    OH! I'M A GURU NOW!! I've always wanted to be a guru. :p

I would give him this for his birthday. :D
    [​IMG]
    Print it out and frame it! :p

9. UniverseBecoming
    I'm too lazy to push a pen around. :p
    <a href="mailto:https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=67409&private=0" target="_blank"></a>
    Great work, both of you! :D

10. hongchen
    hongchen Member
    I'm interested in men's jewelry design, too. I really like texture of steel, especially the black, bronze, and grey steel. One theme I've tried is ancient marine creature, which I feel is cool for men! This is a nautilus shell keychain in polished grey steel, and it can also be a bottle opener or a men's pendant. I also designed a pair of nautilus shell cufflinks, which I'm going to print it in raw bronze or raw silver.

What do you think of it?

DSC_3217-s.jpg

11. hongchen
    hongchen Member
    And this is the nautilus shell cufflink's rendering.

nautilus-cufflinks-combo.jpg

104516_deleted likes this.
  12. UniverseBecoming
    Hi Hong! Great designs! You're very creative!

I like your Swan-Heart Pendant the most. :)

I noticed that the image is cut off in your model images. Here's a screen cap of what I see.
    Shapeways image error.jpg

13. hongchen
    hongchen Member
    Thanks a lot! I should resize the photos asap :)

14. Sloris
    Sloris Member
    Surprise! I Like the sketch second from the bottom on the right hand side.

15. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    That nautilus pendant/keychain looks great!

My boyfriend liked the design on the bottom right, so I made a model of that one and ordered it. That way, it still have time to make adjustments and order a new one. It's the first time I make a tie clip, so the measurements could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

16. numarul7
    @hongchen The pendant looks more like keychain ... dunno why. Cufflinks are good!

17. numarul7
    Here some Cufflinks I going to print.

cufflink.jpg

Black WSF due the theme ... Chessmate , and the same top part it is a ring I going to print too.

Got bummed at first prints of two cufflinks designs ... I think this ones are ok.

What do you think?

18. UniverseBecoming
    It looks interesting Numarul7, but I can't see it well. Can you upload a perspective view? :)

Here's what I've been working on the last few weeks.

[​IMG]

It's a huge skull ring! :D

That's one thing guys like Daphne, we like skull rings. Cuz it makes us look bad ass! :p

19. numarul7
    Here it is!

cufflink.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  20. UniverseBecoming
    Aw ha! I see now! :D

What is the meaning of the embedded chess piece? I don't get that part. But overall the design looks good to me. :)

I wonder if there is a way to to have it design as two parts? One black and the other white. Such that they snap together and form one black and white item. Customers would order the two parts the same way they order puzzles and stuff with multiple colors using the Products Sets Mod. They only pay one shipping fee so it's reasonable.