Help needed wth STL file editing - king tiger tank (WWII)

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by lannesbe, Jul 29, 2014.

1. lannesbe
    lannesbe Member
    Hello,

I have the following request. Attached is an STL file of some parts I would like to get printed. The file basically contains the turret, the barrel and the tracks of a german WWII tank. The three parts are in 3 different scales, so in total the file contains 9 parts (3 barrels, 3 turrets and 3 tracks).

I would like to make 2 changes to the file.

1. Split the file into 3 files (1 per scale). So 1 file contains all the 3 parts of the same scale (barrel, turret and trakcs).
    2. Remove the tracks.

So basically after the 2 changes are done I should have 3 files, each containing a turret and a barrel of the same scale.

I've tried the free version of magics and netfab to do this but was unable to make it work.

Can anyone please help?

tx and kind regards

Michel

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Open the file in Netfabb Basic.
    Click the Red + sign for Repair.
    Select the green cube in the center of the toolbar "Select Shells"
    Click on the largest turret.
    Press CTRL and then click to select the two tracks and barrel that go with it.
    Right click, and select "Extract Selected Triangles as Part"
    As soon as the extract is done, right click again and select "Export Part" and pick a new filename.

Repeat for the other two sets.

3. lannesbe
    lannesbe Member
    Hi Tony,

First of all I would like to thank you for the advise you gave me a couple of days ago on how to split up my STL file into multiple part using netfab. I went through the steps you described and it worked perfectly.

I now have 3 seperatae files (1 for each scale) of the king tiger turret and barrel.

However I now have another question for you: the turret needs to be hollowed out with a wall thicknes of 2 mm. This was the case in the original file but when I split it up into 3 seprerate files I lost the hollowing.

Next to the 3 seperate files (the turret in each of them needs to be hollowed) I've attached the orginal file for reference purposes.

I really hope you can help me with this since it is the last step I need done before printng them.

kind regards

Michel

Attached Files: