Boys Toys

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Dotsan, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    So one Sunday I decided to start a design project with my small cousins 6&7yrs old. After showing them one of my prints www.shapeways.com/model/80951/hoodie_5cm.htmlI asked what they would like to create and see made. We sat down and I taught them about elevation drawing and they created their concepts.
    Here are some pictures of their sketches and my drawings.
    Vinhay wanted a Fire Engine with Robber disguised as a policeman
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Abhay wanted a police boat with a police robot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next stage is to model the boats up and create textures, then I have to creat photorealistic renderings to get approval and progress to printing.

www.dotsan.com

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. settinger
    settinger Member
    Design your own toys! This must be an incredibly exciting time to be a small child.

WE ARE IN THE FUTURE

3. Whystler
    Whystler Member

Toy Concpet , hehe :) Was that the kid's way of spelling or your own? So cute!

And I love the designs too. I'll be watching to see how these evolve on Shapeways.

-Whystler

4. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Whystler you had me worried for a moment, the client has final say and is totally responsible for any mistakes.

I want my cousins to have a leap of faith in terms of their imaginations and not worry about what can and can't be. In the future I hope they will reflect back on this creative experience and be encouraged to be adventurous.
    V

5. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Here is an update the fire engine has been modeled and drawings with colours created.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next stage will be creating a UV map and colouring the model.

www.dotsan.com

6. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    So from the drawings and CAD model I've split the mesh up for UV Mapping and applied the texture.
    Here are the results Final 3D rendering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I need to sign off from the client before uploading for printing.

V
    www.dotsan.com

7. settinger
    settinger Member
    Keep giving us the play-by-play! I really love seeing how this develops!

8. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Here we have a coloured drawing and first rendering of Abhays Police Boat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the first mapped renderings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    V

www.dotsan.com

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. Sparlin
    Sparlin Member
    Nice stuff, but the word Fire on the firetruck is backwards! :D

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That's so the car in front of it can read it in there rear view mirror.

11. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Correct.

12. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    in my opinion (is that correct?), i would say: write down firetruck normal, and not backwards, i think it's confusing for kids? having it backwards?

i have a police toy car, which had police spelled the normal way, but in real life it would have been spelled backwards.
    but i think for kids it would be nicer to have police/firetruck spelled the normal way?

13. Youknowwho4eva
    Police don't put it backwards. To tell you the truth I can only remember seeing it backwards on an ambulance.

14. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Actually Jettuh, after looking at some pics on-line I will change it to the right way round, wonder if there is a reason why only on ambulances it is backward?
    V

15. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
  16. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Thanks for the images, I think I'll leave it backward, it's more interesting.
    V

www.dotsan.com

17. rfennerjr
    rfennerjr Member
    would be cool to use the original drawings as uv maps and order it in full color...

18. EricFinley
    EricFinley Member
    Very cool idea.

Did you ever view the extended video at the Leonar3Do.com site? It has some excellent (and very inspiring) bits in it about them using that (plus an onsite 3D printer) to let kids go straight from vision to toy. Well worth your time.

19. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    I think I will try to keep the artistic intent of the creator for my next models, using the original drawings as colour maps.

I did see that leoner3do video it was great, I hope once people see the process from idea to reality it will make them more critical and responcible about their built environment.

The models have been uploaded here
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/119160/police_boat.html
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/119109/fire_engine.html

I'll be working on the figures next.

V

www.dotsan.com

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  20. Youknowwho4eva
    Your links are the same.