Minion Wedding Figure arrived- best way to clean it?!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by ManuelPoehlau, Jun 11, 2014.

1. ManuelPoehlau
    ManuelPoehlau Member
    I got my Minion wedding figure today. All in all they turned out good, but they're still covered with all the powder.
    What's the best way to get rid of it, without damaging the figure. Just use a brush?
    IMG-20140610-WA0000.jpg

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    I had a look at your 3d model and it looks like the loose powder (which is actually the build material) is coming from the escape hole under the dress of the minion.
    This is hard to clean 100% and thus caused some of the powder to drop during shipping (contaminating the bag and thus being visible everywhere).

The best way to clean your model is by using a toothbrush.
    Please do not use any water as this will make the colors fade.

Let me know the results, otherwise we will have to find some alternatives for you.

Regarding the model, it looks really good!
    Beautiful work :)

Mitchell

ps. these are the minions I printed:
    [​IMG]

3. ManuelPoehlau
    ManuelPoehlau Member
    Thank you Mitchell, I will try to clean it with a toothbrush. I was afraid, that the hole under the dress would be hard to reach. But I couldn´t figure out how to do it in a better way. I guess without the base plate it wouldn´t be stable enough.

Your minions are looking great too! : D

4. If you accidentally get water on it a good way to recover it is to put it in your oven on an aluminum pan with butcher paper for about 3-4 minutes. Just keep a close eye on it. It will start to fade then bam gone.. Take it out let it cool. I have saved many prints doing this. I recommend spraying all multicolor with a clear coat to protect them when handling them.

Josh
    www.designanything3d.com

5. ManuelPoehlau
    ManuelPoehlau Member
    Thanks for the tips! What kind of coating (brand, type of clear coat) do you suggest? I also would prefer a matte one, I don´t really like a shiny/sparkling look for my figurines.

-Manuel

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I have used a spray sanding lacquer that gives a lighter finish. I have also used a product called glaze coat. It's thick, but a little shiny.

What you want to do is sample what ever you try on an area that won't be seen, in case it causes discoloration.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. aimeemoyer
    aimeemoyer Shapeways Employee Ecommerce Team
    Ahh so good!