Thinnest possible print of Black Strong + Flexible whilst being LIGHTPROOF

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 559556_deleted, Jun 5, 2014.

1. I have a question regarding the opacity of the Black strong and flexible- What is the thinnest that I can print whilst having this material be completely lightproof? I am printing something that needs complete darkness within it's core.

Thanks,

Sarah
    :)

2. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    Tricky. It all depends on how much light you're trying to stop and how light sentitive the interior actually is and to which frequencies of the spectrum.

(An extreme example: the flash from an atomic bomb is not completely obscured by a human forearm. Soldiers at test sites reported being able to see the bones of their forearms when used as shields against the flash.)

3. I am needing a lightproof enough exterior to be a camera body, completely opaque against normal sun and artificial lighting. :)

4. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    I would think about 1/8" should do, but I recommend doing a test panel if you can.

5. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    The black is only a thin layer of dye on the surfaces of the printed object. Any light passing through the interior translucent white material will pass rather easily for various practical thicknesses, particularly for sensitive applications such as photography or similar photo-sensitive applications. So what you're mostly worried about is how well to the two layers of dyed material on each surface block the light. A better question might be if you require an additional application of paint or other coating to enable your application.

Without a test instrument that can gauge light penetration answering this problem is difficult, depending on your application. If for example you make a camera body enough outside light may seep through the dyed material and affect your film over a long enough period of time.