Recycling

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by jeff, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jeff
    jeff Member
    are shapeways materials post consumer recyclable?

WSF is vinyl based- that'd be a #3 recycle
    i'm not sure about the acrylic and ABS based materials

reason i ask is i was thinking I might add the recycling symbol and number to some of my products so if they reach the end of their life they don't end up in a landfill.

recycle number meanings

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    If you look on the materials page and click on each one, there is a "Properties Panel" which lists "recyclable?". All the materials I have looked at say "no" there.

3. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Both the RepRap and MakerBot projects are using PLA plastic made from corn and recyclable.

https://blog.makerbot.com/2010/01/09/bio-friendly-plastic-for -your-makerbot-polylactic-acid/

I don't think the machines Shapeways uses can use that plastic unless the printer manufacturer offers it (without voiding the warranty). I have not seen anything about a recyclable material on the Stratasys website yet.

Statasys' recent deal with Hewlett Packard means this issue is about to be front-and-center. Hopefully they realize that if they they were to ignore recycling options, their whole idea would get shot down by consumers, myself included.

4. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    WSF is Nylon bud.

5. jeff
    jeff Member
    both helpful answers, thanks!

6. jeff
    jeff Member
    yea i knew that and meant that but hands typed vinyl, both use 'y' as vowels tho

7. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    Haha I get it wrong as well, and I run these machines! (not for shapeways)

Vinyl dye is good for colouring Nylon parts :p

8. joris
    joris Member