My Buddy - USB charger on the go for Iphone

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 28396_deleted, Jan 24, 2010.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    For some time now i've been designing cool stuff for Iphone ( see my 3D videos on www.youtube.com/dizingof)

The following concept has few versions.. a key chain which hold a USB connector for Iphone - charge your iphone on the go where ever you can find a USB port... while visiting friends.. work place.. internet caffe.. etc..

This version is a "sexy" capsule that holds a small USB connector for Iphone:
    PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG

https://www.shapeways.com/model/79260/my_buddy_1.html

And this version looks like a USB stick that does the same thing:
    PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG

https://www.shapeways.com/model/80852/my_buddy_5.html

(unfortunaly i ordered the capusle in black strong & flexible but it seems it was died in black-die instead... so the die smudged my USB cable.. :confused
    PICT0008.JPG

Another model that i ordered in BSF was made using the real black powder... and the color does'nt rubs off..

For some reason support isnt answering my emails... perhaps it is blocked by shapeways server or sent to the spam folder .. i dont know... any help from the stuff is appreciated )

Hopefully these designs may go Co-Creator soon. :)

2. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi,

please contact us at service [ at ] shapeways [ dot ] com

Did you use the contact for or the above email address?

regards,
    Pete

3. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Thats actually pretty cool. I just uploaded a basic iPod stand into my shop and have been trying to think of some other ideas that could go into a stand design.

Did you create this with a constant wall thickness? I dont know what else is out there that may be just like your model, but it looks like you could make an injection mold and make a million of them. Id consider buying one. Probably would want to try to make an RTV mold first, but I think you have the start to a pretty neat little product here.

Let us know when you release it to be printed! Its in my favorites list for sure!

4. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Have you contacted Apple to make sure you can use their logo on your product?

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hi , Thanks

To which of the 2 products do you refer? the capsule? or the "iphone usb stick stand" ?

I hope to have this product go Co-Creator soon allowing a customer to add a text to the capsule or to the "usb stick/stand" and sent to him/her with the tiny Iphone usb cable inside.

the wall thickness is 2 mm and indeed very strong.
    i will experiment with the color version and see how it goes.

dadrummond,

that's actually not really the Apple's logo .. it has 2 bites ..
    but if it will be a problem i will replace it with... a heart? :)

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If they're anything like a certain lighter company, they may not even want you saying that your product will work with their product.

7. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Haha -- do whatever feels right; a heart is unlikely to get you in any trouble. I think it's always good to think ahead to what will happen when your product is a huge success. :) Good luck!

8. tones3d
    tones3d Member
    Always good to see practical and useful gadgets being made; good on you!!

9. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    I was referring to the capsule in particular. The others dont look too difficult to make moldable.

Btw, I really like the iPhone Dock 2. Simple, but nice design.

10. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Thanks,

I wanted to go Co-Creator with the capsule but i have to wait 3 weeks... i'll let you all know if and when.

shapeways admin: I really hope a designer here in this community has full copyrights on his design/idea ..

Basically i thought of this: once a customer orders the capsule with the color of his choice and a customizable text "Tommy loved Debby" etc.. , he will be sent the capsule from shapeways and the tiny charging cable will be sent by me by a registered mail.

usb-iphone tiny cable.jpg

What you guys think of this method?
    what do you think would be a killer price for this product?
    Has anyone here made some realy serious sales, quantity wise from his shop ? :)

Thanks all for your input.

11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hello shapers :)

I'm glad to report that this tiny USB connector for iPhone / iPod /
    Touch in a customized key-chain capsule is now back on sale +
    you get a direct link to order the tiny USB connector straight from
    dealextreme.com at only $1.64 including shipment!

(You're all familiar with this website ..my 1 year experience with
    them proved they are reliable and safe to order from)

https://www.shapeways.com/model/98922/tiny_usb_charger.html

Now you can have a sexy unique charger on the go!
    Add it to your key-chain and never worry about low battery - just
    look for a USB to connect to - ex: at your work place,
    school's PC, internet cafe, or while visiting friends place etc...

BTW, by installing a FREE App you can turn your iPhone/iPod
    Touch into a USB stick ! - you can move music, movies , files,
    between your iphone and your friend's iphone - no need to buy
    or carry another USB stick.

If you have any questions please feel free to MSG me :cool:

13. 40800_deleted
    40800_deleted Member
    Hi, really interesting and useful concept.
    I'm new here, and it's my very first post, but why are all the items on your shop appearing as "Not for sale"?

14. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Welcome ,

Simply put , after 8 months.. i came to a conclusion that shapeways members are pro/semi pro 3d modelers - they are not the traffic that would buy (my/others)3d designs...

I don't think one can pitch to a pro..

Still, this is a great platform to make your own designs for your self.. or just for fun/hobby as i do.

Cheers

15. 40800_deleted
    40800_deleted Member
    Thank you for explaining it.
    Love the concept of the iPhone charger stick. It's a shame you haven't been able to get the encouragement of sales and go on to develop more concepts. Back in the day when I was buying for a family with lots of gadget mad individuals, it would have been the ideal Christmas gift to give everyone, and I'd have been thrilled to find it available in a gadget outlet.

16. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Hey all

Just though you might want to look at the new USB stick charger for iPhone that i uploaded again to my store with some cool modifications + reduced material cost.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/123026/usb_stick_for_iphone.h tml

You order the tiny USB cable from dealextreme (link provided) for just $1.64 with free shipping.

Insert it to this USB stick and tuck the connector in it's place.
    No need for any tools or glue - it all fits perfectly and tightly.

Oh and it's also a Co-creator so you can dedicate it to a family member , co-worker or your BOSS ! :D

Enjoy !