A guideline geometry file

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by userop, May 4, 2014.

1. userop
    userop Member
    Here's the suggestion.....a 3d format file, such as OBJ, that contains marked measurement cubes or spheres that are named, sized and sorted according to their material. You could even have a texture of each material assigned to each cube.

Say for example, a 2mm sized cube for checking clearances, or cubes sized for wall thickness, embossed detail, etc. This file could help modelers more easily and readily check their own work within their modeling application. They could just drag the cubes around to the area and visually compare to a model. There could be 1 file, or multiple files with measurement cube for each material separately to reduce any potential clutter.

So If I wanted to say model something in ceramics, instead of loading a new file, I'd start with a shapeways file that contains these measurement cubes in ceramic requirements.

I see it being useful for both novice and professional modelers.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    i often use cubes for measurements, but i am not sure how your suggestion could speed up/improve my workflow, because i think it is faster to add new cube with size i need than look for them somewhere in external file.

And even if i could download starting file for specific program i use, i would not, because i have my own startup settings.

But this might be different in other modeling software... Also i might be missing something.

Other thing that i can see useful, especially for beginners, is file with 3d objects explaining what is wall, wire, detail, etc. (and differences between them)
    This file than could also include these "measurements cubes"

3. userop
    userop Member
    I wouldn't consider it faster to do it manually at all. you have to create the object, enter in the size measurements, etc. that may seem a non issue....until you've done it dozens of times or more.

instead of it being an 'external' file, it could be something people start out with....like a blank starting point. They decide "hey, I want to make something in X material", then they load the file associated with that material. from there they can hide and unhide the measurement objects as they see fit. the objects would be clearly named.

of course you can just check by selecting two points and seeing the width they register as, but this isn't always helpful depending on the geometry of the object. another helper would be checking clearances. shapeways doesn't automatically do that at all. so you can just take the cube, wedge it between the area. even though shapeways does do automated thickness testing, the wall thickness fixer introduces blobby and messy geometry to fill in, so I personally just go back and repair the item so I can have full control over its geometry.

but it's not just about being able to do visually check requirements, it's also there to keep the information handy. I for example, can't fully remember all the millimeter requirements for printing across the various material. I find that I'm often having to recheck them from project to project, or even within the same project.

I often don't consider model measurements too much until the final product, since it's all relative anyways, and tedious to keep track of constantly. so my workflow is that at the end of modeling I check measurements, clearances, etc. and polish anything that needs it.

but I do think it would be a good idea to have model files that visually explains manifolds and stuff to novices.

what they really need is a kind of 'startup' package with some files and examples, etc.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    it took me 6 seconds to add 1 cube with correct measurements (if i know them). Yes i used stopwatch :D And i have never done it more than 3 times per project, but we clearly have different workflow...

me neither. That is why i usually have open SW material page in background during modeling :)

There is that different workflow. I at start decide minimal/optimal size for model (or client do) and than make everything with guidelines in mind. For me it is faster and more "reject proof" than doing it the way you described...

Here we agree.

Hey Shapeways, are you planing to make your guidelines in 3d or should we do it? :)