Packaging textures to UV from Rhino 3D

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by bjornsyse, Jan 20, 2010.

1. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    Hi

In rhino, being NURBS modeler, we work with textures using projections. Does anyone know a good way, inside or ouside of rhino, to pack these projections as UV textures written directly on the mesh?

This to be able to order the new Sandstone colored material,.

Can it be done by exporting the render mesh using some renderer or similar?

Best regards,.

- Björn

2. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Hi I use Rhino to create my models and export them obj files. I then import them into Blender where I unwrap and texture it. Rhino is restrictive in uv mapping unles your object is simple.
    Here are some exmaples.
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/80951/hoodie.html

[​IMG]

Regards
    V

3. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    Hey, that's pretty cool!

However,. that would mean I'd have to re-texture everything. It would be great if I could use my allready set-up projections and then just "draw" that information on each polygon.

am I thinking about this right? I've never worked with UV-texturing,.

4. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Yes you can, in the material dialog you can add a texture and export it as a VRML file but not to individual surfaces, for that you need uv unwrapping software. This is a classic Rhino downfall.
    Cheers
    V
    <a href="http://www.dotsan.com" target="_blank"></a>

5. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying, I can use projections and lay out the textures as I want them, and then export that very appearance as a VRML?

6. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    You can use surface, planer, cylinder and box wrapping for the whole water tight model, but you are not able to do individule face mapping.

V

7. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    Ah!

Well, that's a great advantage though! I was under the impression that no texture projections whatsoever could be transferred to polygon/VRML-format..

But you're saying that if I want to properly texture, let's say, a human face, I would have to UV-unwrap and paint that map specifically in photoshop on a per-vertex-basis yes?

Thanks for the info!

8. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Yes you've got it :D

V

9. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    Hi again,.

I've now tried this, and I can't get it to work. This is my workflow:

1. In the material tab in Object Properties,. I choose "Basic" and then add a texture.
    2. I adjust the placement with Texture Mapping
    3. I choose the object and export as VRML 2.0, and I've tried checking both "Texture Coordinates" and "Vertex colors" in the export dialog,. but when I open the .wrl-filen in rhino again, and check it in Rendered view - there is not texture,.

Am I missing something?

- Björn

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Try this, Right click the .wrl and hit open with notepad. See if the file contains a line that says texture gettexture. If not your having the same problem I have.

11. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    There was no line saying exactly that, however there was a line saying:
    Code:
    texture 	ImageTexture {
    		url [ "RO2 R90CW.jpg" ]
    		repeatS FALSE
    		repeatT FALSE
    		}

I then realized that texture was not in the same folder as the .wrl which the url suggests. So I moved the image file there, and the texture showed up in Rhino!

However, how can I transfer this information to shapeways? Do I have to upload the texture file aswell?

Regards,

- Björn

12. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Hi, zip the vrml and texture file together and upload the zip file.
    V

13. bjornsyse
    bjornsyse Member
    Thanks! I missed that part in the instructions :D

I'll let you know how it goes,.

14. cmnwdesigns
    cmnwdesigns Member
    Hey there,

I was reading your posts trying to figure this out myself. What program do you use to UV-unwrap for your Rhino models? I've done this in Maya before, but never in Rhino. It's a pain in the behind.

Any help would be appreciated.

~ Christina

15. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Hi I use Blender to creat UV maps, I export an obj file from Rhino.

regards
    V

www.dotsan.com

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  16. cmnwdesigns
    cmnwdesigns Member
    Thanks V. That helps a lot, I was hoping to not have to download anything that wasn't legit, and that's the perfect solution.

Your hoodie dudes are pretty cool btw.

~ Christina

17. cmnwdesigns
    cmnwdesigns Member
    Hi V,

If you could give your two cents on another post of mine under color printing that would be great. I'm having problems with getting everything manifold within blender. Perhaps my work flow is just completely wrong?

18. 75502_deleted
    75502_deleted Member
    Hello, VirtualV.

I could really use some help, if it isn't too much of a bother. I have an idea I would like to try out at Shapeways. I have made the first two models I want in Rhino 3D version 4, and I have some others in mind. The models I want to test are 1.988 x 1.988 x 0.2509 cm inside Rhino, but they came out as 1988.05 x 1988.05 x 250.92 cm when I exported them and uploaded to Shapeways. I was able to reduce them to the correct size, but the detail was horrible. Could you tell me what units you model with in Rhino, and what format you export them with? I saw your posts about using Blender to handle the colors, but I have only just downloaded Blender today. Any help on what you do to get the color maps done in Blender and what steps are needed to get that into a format Shapeways can use would be greatly appreciated. I want to use the full-color sandstone material. Your hoodie figures look great. That amount of detail at that size is just what I'm aiming for.

Thanks,

Robert V Frazier

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Sounds like the VRML mm issue. Suggest to read this.

20. 75502_deleted
    75502_deleted Member
    Thank you! I've been looking for information about how to scale the models without wrecking the quality. I tested the procedure you linked to, and that did the trick!

You saved my sanity there. Thanks again.

Robert V Frazier