Blender Help

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 21418_deleted, Jan 16, 2010.

1. 21418_deleted
    21418_deleted Member
    I'm having a bit of trouble with something in blender and was hoping someone can help me.

[​IMG]

On the above image you'll see the shading (gray to black) on the object towards the middle of the display. What causes this shading, and how do I get rid of it?

All help appreciated.

2. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    Looks like inverted normals maybe?

If it is then : In edit mode select all > Ctrl-n > recalculate normals outside should fix it.

3. GHP
    GHP Member
    The way Blender shades polygons for the 3D effect can sometimes be a bit strange, I think, so it may be nothing to do with the model. It often seems to over-emphasize very slight changes in angle between faces.

4. 21418_deleted
    21418_deleted Member
    Thanks guys. It's not the normals. I've tired those.

Part of the problem is it's making parts of my model hard to see and work with within blender.

5. iguffick
    iguffick Member
    Try adding extra edge loops close to points where there is a sharp angle. This works best if you do it on both sides of the sharp edge.
    e.g. add an edge loop on the round parts of the cylinder very close to the end, and on the end face of the cylinder close to the outside.

You'll probably find you need to do this on both ends and on the hole in the end as well.

You could also try using the edge split modifier if you don't want to add extra geometry.

Regards,
    Ian.

6. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    Or, it looks like you have used 'set smooth' on those parts and not the others, try changing it to 'set solid'

7. 21418_deleted
    21418_deleted Member

That fixed it.

Thanks Inlite, and everyone else for their comments and suggestions.

Regards.