Map not found - but it is there

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Colossus, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Colossus
    Colossus Member
    I've been trying to upload a file with a .bmp associated with it. It originated with a 3ds Max file conversion that I saved out to a .wrl file. All the maps were put into a zip file along with the wrl and uploaded. I keep getting an error saying it can't find a .bmp file that I know is definitely in the zip file. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks for your help!

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
  3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Open the wrl in a text editor, use 'find' to find the image file reference and make sure the reference is trucated to just the image filename i.e. no drive or folder info. Truncate the filename if needs be and save.

Paul

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    As far as I know, BMP is not a supported texture file format - try converting it to GIF, PNG or JPEG (and adjusting the file name in the "ImageTexture" entry of the WRL file accordingly)

5. Colossus
    Colossus Member
    Thanks, actually .bmp is supported. I've uploaded a number of other models with .bmp files with no problems.

6. Colossus
    Colossus Member
    Thanks for the reply. This was a direct import so there was no need for me to change the file name. The 3dsMax file loads fine. It's just the WRL output that gets wonky.

7. mkroeker
    Hmm. Anything even slightly unusual about your texture file name, e.g. embedded blanks or special characters ? Does the error message you get
    exactly correspond to the expected name of your texture file ? Does texturing work when you open your wrl file with a standalone viewer such as view3dscene ?

8. Colossus
    Colossus Member
    The map files are identical. I went back to the source file and a raw .wrl export seems to import in to Shapeways and show up in a viewer without problems. However, when I adjust the exported file to fix potential printing problems (thickness, part location), then the file has problems uploading. I did take a look at the exported .wrl file from my modified file in a viewer and it wasn't loading the textures. Would adjusting or adding vertex locations somehow corrupt the texture locations in the file?

9. mkroeker
    Changes to the mesh would likely lead to a mismatch of your texture, with parts of it applied in unintended places. Also depending on the program you used for fixing, the wrl you exported from it may have lost the texture reference.
    From your earlier messages however, it seems that the texture file is specified but cannot be found - which would point to a more fundamental problem.
    (Could it be a case-sensitivity problem, e.g. filename in mixed or lower case but ZIP file created with msdos-style all-uppercase names ?)

10. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Basically, your wrl file is a huge text file that has the coordinates for everything, colour mapping included. Change the model, the file changes and unless you re-map the image, the whole thing goes pearshaped.

For colour models the workflow should be,

1. Create the model
    2. Error check the model file and repair if needs be.
    3. Colour the model.

Paul
    [hr][hr]