Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by VirtualDremel, Jan 6, 2010.

1. VirtualDremel
    VirtualDremel Member
    Did anybody create a virtual equivalent of the shapeways materials for blender or luxrender? They would be swell for accurate pre-renderings :).

Cheers,

Erik

2. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    If so we would be most interested also!
    Because then we could AUTOMATE those prerenderings using Blender as a
    server tool :)

Help anyone?

Peter

3. 24996_deleted
    24996_deleted Member
  4. 47171_deleted
    47171_deleted Member
    Haven't tried, but the materials look simple enough. I'll try making one and see.

5. 47171_deleted
    47171_deleted Member
    :confused Tried making the strong white material in blender based on the photos. Still not as I wanted it to be. Needs more tweaking. Try making one in lux next.

whitematerialexperiment.png

Any suggestions?

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. jasolo
    jasolo Member
    I have tried the command line (WindowsXP) indicating the path for all the files and I get an error:

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
    Checking for installed Python... got it!
    Error caught, exiting.
    (During less than a second I see a small black "Image" window.)

I suppose that the result is the same opening the .blend file with Blender and clicking the Render button (no error this way).

And about the texture, I think the lights used in the template increase the contrast between lit and shaded zones. That helps to see the geometry of the models, but it seems artificial to me in the case of the WSF material. Maybe the material should be tested with a "real" environment, for example:

- Take a photo of a real WSF object in an interior scene.
    - Make photos of that scene, without the object, to obtain a Light Probe (HDR image).
    - Use the light probe in Blender to test the material and compare the resulting render with the image taken to the real model.

The problem with this technique is that renders take more time than usual (Ambient Occlusion + Raytrace). More info about HDRi and Blender:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/HDRi