Assembly in Solidworks not saving as one part when saved as an stl file.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Robits, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Robits
    Robits Member
    I have been trying to upload an assembly and it keeps saving the parts of the assembly as separate pieces. I have tried selecting "save all as one file" when saving it as an STL but it refuses to save into one file.
    I feel like I am going insane.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    You could try this work around. Save all the parts as separate STL files.
    Get a copy of Accutrans http://www.micromouse.ca/ Free trail then $20.
    Use File - MultiOpen - Add Files - one at a time.
    Tools - Merge all Layers
    File - Save as - Stl (Binary) or any of the other options available. ( It can convert files).

If the files overlap each other, they can be moved in Accutrans.
    Change the pane on the right to Edit. Pick the layer you want to move from the pull down option.
    Pick Change - Move - Enter the increment required and the X Y or Z axis to move.
    Click OK when finished

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Which version of SW ? Do you get an error message when it "refuses" to save all components as one file ? (Maybe try running the interference check).
    I guess you could try using the "join" operation on a copy of your assembly before exporting.

4. In the STL options, check the box "Save all components of an assembly in a single file"

Edit, sorry, sounds like you tried that already...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    You're not insane - Solidworks doesn't explain how to do anything very well.;-)

Try this:

1) Save the assembly file as a part file.

2) Close the assembly file, open the part file, select all the pieces and use the 'combine' command [under INSERT>FEATURES>COMBINE] to make them one solid piece and save it.

3) Try creating your STL from the part now; it should be a single piece.

6. Robits
    Robits Member
    Thanks guys! I figured it out! I had mated the parts incorrectly, but once I re-mated them it saved correctly as one file. :)