How to design X3D file suitable for color printing in Blender?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 474703_deleted, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,

I am a graduate student from the Department of Chemistry in the University of Houston.
    I am new to 3D design and I would like to print out my 3D crystal structure.
    After I created a color X3D file I have some problems to make it printable.

I just realize Blender has no "scale" function.
    1. I use Blender to build color X3D model which is suitable for my requirement.
    Problems: too large scale, no error check
    2. In order to do error check in Nettfab, I convert X3D to STL (it cannot read my X3D).
    Problems: after checking, cannot select only one part of structure to modify in Blender, cannot add color

After reading tutorial on your website, I am still confused because the cases it mentions mostly related to STL.
    My question will be: how to use Blender to directly create color X3D suitable for printing in Shapeways? (right scale, no error, still colored)
    Could any one help me out?

Thanks,

Teng-Hao

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Sure about that ? Have you tried selecting your model and then using "s" for interactive zooming (or "n" for exact scale factor entry) ?
    Also as far as I know recent versions of Blender include a "3d printing toolbox" for error checking - you may still have to enable it in your Blender preferences though ?