Free human models for modifying

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Freakazoitt, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    Is it possible to download somewhere models of people which can be modified and sold in Shapeways legally? Because creating humans is so difficult.
    I know about program named Makehuman, but it's so raw. They say there is a randomizing face button, but there is NOT. And they say there is a poses in progam, but I don't see any.
    Also, I need more cartoon like humans, not realistic proportions.

2. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    Finding a willing partner is the hard part...

But seriously... 3D modelling is hard, particularly when one ventures into organic shapes. It takes many, many hours of learning - not just the software, but how to transfer one's ideas out of one's head and into the computer. From my experience, there is no good way to shortcut the process. I have had two years of formal CAD and engineering training and two decades of experience using various modelling and drafting programs. I would be hard pressed to make anything at all, much less a cartoonish character in something like Z-brush or Maya as those are software packages that I have never used.

Your request is something akin to asking where one can download an orchestral score for some Mozart works, but not too classical, as you prefer a jazzy feel. Such a thing does not exist. You may have to accept that you will have to put in the hours (and hours) to develop the required skills. On the bright side, you'll have a new set of very useful skills when you finish.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I see the obvious joke was already made, so...
    Semiprofessional/hobbyist 3d-printing is fairly new, but 3D modeling for photorealistic 2D images, a.k.a. raytracing, has been going on for a few decades already, so I would (also) look there for tools and models. Names that come to mind are "Poser" (commercial, poser.smithmicro.com) and the freeware project MakeHuman (www.makehuman.org).

4. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Can't think of any online "library" of 3D people sculptures to serve as templates - much less any stylised "cartoon" templates. These latter tend to be somebody's copyright for the very reason that they are artistic interpretations rather than generic copies of real-life figures.

As for software, FreeRangeBrain hits it on the head - the hard part isn't learning the knobs & whistles of the software, but learning to "see" the model you want so you can translate it to lines and shapes. Was it Michelangelo who said carving marble sculptures was just a simple matter of removing everything that wasn't his intended statue?...

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!

PS: Making humans is far easier than it should be! When I was at university, the departmental month-long summer field school began with special lectures designed to avoid the rather high second-year dropout rate among the female students...

5. Freakazoitt
    Idon't know how to draw humans, the anatomy, shapes, emotions, proportions. I want just take some default ones and add equipment, weapons, other stuff and things.

Poser is allowing to sell renders, not models. Or 3d printed objects can be recognised as "render"?
    About MakeHuman I already wrote.

Nooooo I want just click button and computers will generate everything :)

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Sorry, I seem to have overlooked your comment on the makehuman software. It seems you can find a few free models just by searching for "human stl" or "human obj", but I believe the hard part will be modifying them to create a plausible pose appropriate to the type of equipment carried or wielded.There are several youtube videos on how to model people in blender, starting from makehuman meshes or photographs.

7. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    No problem! All you have to do now is wait 30 to 50 years for someone to develop that software.

Orrrrrrr..... you could invest some time and effort and learn the existing software, just like the rest of us have.

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Not to be a downer, but as a person who has worked 40 years to try to CREATE such software, I can assure you.. it ain't that easy. It may be longer than that before we get there.

9. RMSdesigns
    RMSdesigns Member
    You could look into Mudbox,...sold by Autodesk. I have an older version 2009. You can sculpt a mesh with their software. The learning curve is a little high,..but anything worthwhile is. They have prebuilt human meshes to start with.

However, if you are going to pose the character, you're going to have to learn how to "rig" the object. You'll have to export the mesh into Cinema4d or Maya, or some other program and build the skeleton,..and morphs etc,....

I'd suggest to start at manipulating simple primitive objects, like cubes and spheres, building simple forms, then applying a hypernurbs,.....

Youtube and Vimeo have some great tutorials.

Best Wishes!

Rob

10. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    If you know your way around Blender than this is probably closest what you can find to what you want.

11. Freakazoitt
    I'm trying to make human from primitives.
    First is the this sergeant: http://shpws.me/qpwg
    Now I want to make Cultist
    But how to make hair? 3d printing is not rendering. It should be with volume.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014