Surprise Custom Xmas Ornament Featuring Employer's logo

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Brian123, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    I made this as a surprise during my departments annual holiday lunch where we do white elephant gift exchange (wiki) with ornaments (I broke the $10 limit, but worth it). So it features my employer's logo. The co-worker that ended up with it was very happy :)

Print is 4.75 inches tall, mostly modeled in Modo, with some help from ZBrush (Inflate, Shaping, Decimation & 3D Print Export) and Hexagon (Spiral Curves)

Shapeway's print came out great!

ornament-xmas-tree.jpg
    shapeways-ornament-flat.jpg
    shapeways-ornament-back.jpg
    shapeways-3D-view.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Modo and Zbrush!?! Fancy tool set you have there. Awesome results!

What's an elephant gift exchange?

3. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    Sorry, I should of also specifically said White Elephant Gift Exchange. There are probably many ways to do it. Usually everyone brings an unmarked wrapped gift that's put with the others, sometimes with a theme or price limit. Everyone draws a number to see who goes first. Each person can choose one of the random gifts, or choose to steal one of the previously opened gifts from another person. The person that loses their gift gets to pick another unopened gift. A gift can only be stolen twice, after that, no one can take it away. The person that went first gets to steal at the very end since they couldn't at the beginning.

So it's basically a lot of fun. When it's something as simple as ornaments, everyone is usually too curious what 's next than to steal. Also, everyone was polite enough not to take the one I made away from the first person who got it. We use to do this with my family/relatives during xmas, and can be as simple as wrapping up something you didn't want around the house as a joke. One year my uncle had wrapped up a freaking crossbow.

Just got Modo and loving it so far. Has a learning curve transitioning from Hexagon, but so much more powerful once you get the hang of it. I still use Hexagon for little things, like its lattice deformer on spiral curves for this ornament. I originally got ZBrush version 3 for around $299-$350 back in the day through Daz 3D, and just recently bought a used copy of Modo for $900 after license transfer fees, but it also included $350 worth of plug-ins (Auto Character Setup and Non-Photorealistic Render). Modo still has a 40% sale going on. In the end, it was worth it since I've been doing more freelance and the current project will pay for it.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Ah we call it a Chinese gift exchange at my family event, basically same rules. Usually it's any sort of alcohol that's almost guaranteed to get stolen several times (we limit 2 steals per turn)

I've been itching to try Modo, I have a trial to use, but haven't put it on my laptop yet (my desktop is 32bit, and they only have a 64 bit version). My main interest is that it can use IGES as well as all the formats we use here (I use KeyCreator as one of my main softwares and it doesn't like big STL files).

5. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    WOW!! That came out AMAZING!

...And we did a white elephant exchange with the community and marketing team here , it was a lot of fun - the only bottle of booze got stolen ;-)

6. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    Funny, this was with the marketing and communications team here too : )

Sadly, no booze this round