Automated wall thickness check wrong?

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by TonyRR, Dec 23, 2013.

1. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    I've seen that the new automated process to check the wall thickness is making mistakes. I've uploaded an upgrade of a previous design, making some parts thicker... and it hasn't passed the wall thickness check!

Something is going wrong because the model is entirely thicker than the previous version. Could you check it please?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Check what?
    You need to specify which model and which material are having the issue.

3. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Check the image.

A model that has been printed widely (1313606), that's strong and very thick, now has wall thickness issues...
    The model is thicker than 3 mm ((cm) 1.576 w x 6.092 d x 0.388 h) and the design is strong.
    It seems that the "problems" are with steel metals, not precious metals.

This is only an example because all the updated models have wall thickness problems...

Merry Christmas

P.D.: Nobody answered me about the upload problems from the past days; a product has disappeared from my shop (1322591) and nobody at SW has recovered it.

Attached Files:

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Tony

1) Sorry we haven't gotten to you quicker, it's a busy time of year.

2) The wall thickness checker is not a dead end checker. Your design, being flat, may not even need to be 3mm in stainless. The wall thickness checker is mostly helpful for those that don't know the materials as well as some of us, and to help see details we may have over looked that are too small and even the best designer may miss. Especially with stainless, and ceramics, it really takes knowing the materials. Don't rely on the thickness checker too much with those materials as your model could be all green, but not have enough support for the size and design.

5. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Thank you very much Michael.
    This helps a lot!

Merry Christmas

6. Silvergence_Karen
    Silvergence_Karen Active Member
    True! A ring I created using the popper printed in stainless steel perfectly (and THANKS to SW it was delivered in time for Christmas) but now the same uploaded image doesn't pass the thin wall check even when I max out the thickness at 6mm.
    This is the opposite of a
    because at the original thickness of 1.5mm the check for stainless is completely yellow.
    And it's not
    because if I created the ring after the new checker was active I would think it couldn't be printed. How concerned should we be that new models won't be printed if they contain thin wall warnings? Will it prejudice anyone tasked with reviewing a model to know in advance that there are warnings? Seems like it may cause more work for SW humans at least with back and forth correspondence regarding printablilty.
    I made the ring (model # 1469681) public for viewing and added a screenshots image.
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/1469681/textural-initial-a-r ing-size-11.html?li=my-models&materialId=6
    <a href=" https://www.shapeways.com/model/1469681/textural-initial-a-r ing-size-11.html?li=my-models&materialId=6" target="_blank"></a>

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013