Maya Booleans for a Pendent?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by joshuagilbreath, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Hello all!

I have a question concerning booleans in use for 3D printing. I am wanting to take this alpha *see attached below* and use Shapeways to make a pendant for my girlfriend.

[​IMG]

I have drawn out the curves in Illustrator so that the writing is a single expanded vector and the pendent is a single line, as well as the hole for the necklace loop. I have imported those curves but can't seem to figure out the best approach for the booleans procedure. I have tried using Bevel Plus on the pendent a few times and yielded decent results, although I couldn't seem to get a smooth NURBS mesh.

I would like to partially submerge an extruded handwriting in a pendent mesh and have a clean results. In the past, I have always cursed booleans because it never seemed like the results were 100% favorable.

Any advice how how to proceed? Thanks you much!
    Josh

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    You could use our '2D to 3D' app for that. You can use different levels of gray to achieve a beveled effect.

If you want to model this yourself in a 3D app, it would depend on the app, I guess. In Blender it would be fairly trivial to extrude this from an AI file, I think.

Bart