Cleaning and Sanding Full Color Sandstone

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Dviola, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Dviola
    Dviola Member
    I just recieved a print, and will soon be receiving 3 more. I am pretty happy with them, but notice there is a bit of dust on em, as well as ridges (which were expected). I had a few questions...

Can I sand FCS? Is the color only on the surface or does it go deep, meaning, if I sand, will I just be removing color?

Are there any recommended ways to clean it, and is there a good matte finish anyone knows about that I can apply?
    Thanks for the help, image attached.

Attached Files:

2. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Yes you can if you are careful. I use a lathe but I seem to recall someone here using a Dremel with a sanding pad which is a lot harder to do. Be prepared to use a lot of sandpaper since the top layers (probably the sealant they use) ends up being gooey on the sandpaper. You can also enhance the colors by simply spraying the object with several thin coats of a spray lacquer or polyurethane spray but of course you'll still see the ridges. Many spray sealants have been experimented with and talked about in the threads. Deft sanding lacquer, Krylon polyurethane, Testors one coat lacquer, etc.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=782 38&&srch=experimental+blank#msg_78238

3. Dviola
    Dviola Member
    Thanks for the help. I really like the soft flat matte look of the sandstone, do you know if these finishes will keep that look?

4. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I much prefer glossy finishes. I've found that sometimes FCS has some small patches of semi-glossy residue (from the sealant they use?). I've tried a satin polyurethane and some other flat finish but the shine can still show through and make the part look splotchy. Using a glossy or wet look sealant tends to overpower the residue and make everything more uniform. Maybe you could try a glossy sealant and then use a final topcoat of the same stuff in a satin or flat finish. I've been meaning to try this with Testors dullcote but haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you have the time and resources you might want to create some test structures or small prints to try with different sealants. Post-processing FCS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get.

5. EricHo
    EricHo Well-Known Member
    good advice!

6. Dviola
    Dviola Member
    So i did some light sanding but now its discolored, I assume its that sealant previously mentioned. Is there a way to clean this up?

7. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Can you post any photos of what you're getting so far? I hope you're using a sacrificial piece for your tests! I use a lathe but that thing is spinning at hundreds of RPM and I lightly apply sandpaper starting at 320 or 400 and move up to 600 or 800 for the final passes. I have also polished beyond that with Micro Mesh polishing pads that go up to an equivalent grit of 12000. The sanding process is messy for the first part of sanding because as I mentioned before things are a bit waxy and gooey, and some of that problem may be from friction generated heat. Once you get through that things get a bit easier but if you go too far you will go past the color layer. I don't think there's any good way to clean up the goo without really messing up the color layer. I've found that sealing the FCS after sanding also makes it look better. It helps to hide and small scratches from the sanding process and brings out the color again.

I did a search for some FCS test pieces that you might want to experiment with or have some similar designs of your own made so you don't waste any prized real prints with experimentation.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/255611/color-wafer-2-flat.ht ml
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/1105829/test-structure-disks -90-mil.html

8. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member