You are kidding me

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by alanambrose, Oct 30, 2013.

1. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    When I try to upload a model I get the page partly obscured by some youtube screen (see capture) - neatly stopping me from uploading my models or ordering from you. This is in Internet Explorer 10. Come on guys.

Attached Files:

2. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    <<Channeling Adam Savage...>>
    Well, THERE'S yer problem!

Seriously though... works just fine in Safari and Firefox. IE has a LONG reputation for ignoring HTML standards and trying to push their way on the rest of the web.

Internet Explorer: The world's most widely used browser....

.... for downloading another browser.

:)

3. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    This is safari

Attached Files:

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Can you provide OS and browser version info? I use Chrome with no issues.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Try disabling stylesheets just for the upload (think it is in Tools/Developer tools in IE). Or try Firefox.

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The devs should still take a look, but (only for reference) I'm not seeing that with IE10 nor Chrome.
    You didn't happen to download any Youtube "helpers", did you?

7. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Safari Screenshot.png

...and this is Safari on my computer...

OSX 10.9, Safari Version 7.0 (9537.71)

I don't know what the problem is, but I'm inclined to believe it's on your end.

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey alanambrose,

this happening both in IE and Safari is really strange. We'll look in to it, but as Michael said, please tell us which Windows version you are using. Also, did you install any plugins (or extensions, I don't know how these are called in IE) that might affect YouTube content?

Thanks!

Bart

9. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    Hmmm, saved page and removed youtube iFrames - no dice.

Set Safari / Developer / Disable Styles (thanks for that recommendation)

That works but you have to deal with the attached...

Fairly vanilla win7 setup, cinema 30 if that makes any difference. This used to be fine...

Alan

Attached Files:

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Thanks for the info alanambrose! I'll pass it on to our developers.

Bart

11. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    Hmmm, this works under Chrome.

Pretty amateur for Shapeways to need a special browser IMO.

Can't marketing resist the temptation for one minute and just let us upload some models and order some product without trying to show us youtube videos?

A.

12. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Dude, it's your browser.

13. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    Don't be pathetic, this is the only site that doesn't render properly on my set-up and certainly the only site that is stupid enough to have a bug which blocks you from ordering.

On my machines it works in Chrome, it doesn't work in IE or Safari.

Amateur either way. It's called software quality assurance or testing,

I work on 2560x1600 screens - maybe it is something to do with screen resolution.

'It's your browser' is like saying 'size 0 should fit everyone, if not, you're the wrong size'.

14. mkroeker
    Shhh, nobody offer him a chair - I think he might be Mr.Ballmer...

15. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    I think you need to read this...

(link removed by bartv)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  16. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey alanambrose,

I just checked on a few computers here in the office that run Win7/IE10 and I can't reproduce this issue. You can dismiss the 'it's your browser' comment, but you'd be surprised how many people find that they have installed some extension or plugin in their browser that causes issues like this. Please check your plugins to be sure! I have to concur that it doesn't look like a problem on our end. Still, the issue has been reported and our developers will double-check.

Bart

17. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey, sorry but I wasn't entirely sure about the legal status of that link, so I've removed it. You were right though :)

18. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    Hmmm, I just spent another 30 mins taking screen shots so I could demonstrate the bug with all add-ins / accelerators disabled. I see though that I can only upload one image. I'm a multi-decade tech so am fairly careful with my set-up. Unfortunately I don't have any more time to spend on this - I'm happy to send you the screenshots if you send me an email. I figure it's better that I make a loud noise about a bug like this. I had a problem the other day with a site that I spent 45 mins on selecting products from the catalogue only for them to lose the shopping basket when linking out to Paypal. I just went onto another supplier without bothering to let them know.

Alan

Attached Files:

19. mkroeker
    Alright then. If you use F12 to open the "Developer Tools" window with the shapeways upload page open, does it show you both "Browser mode" and "Document mode" in the title bar of the developer tools window set to "IE 10" ?
    (BTW fiddling with the browser and document compatibility modes - i.e. the dropdown boxes on these two mode entries - may yield a more practical solution than disabling stylesheets completely.)
    "Best" IE version I dug up here was only IE8, which I could force into messing up the page by setting IE7 or "Quirk" mode.

Could it be that you have some shapeways-specific browser setting carried over from an older version of IE, seeing that you signed up here a few years ago ? (It might have gone unnoticed until shapeways redesigned the upload page to make heavier use of css and iframes, both of which were not exactly strong points of IE in the past)

20. alanambrose
    alanambrose Member
    Ah... the browser mode for the whole site comes up as IE10 Compat View / IE7 standards. Forcing it to any other doc mode makes it behave. (BTW the problem also exhibits in Safari). My previous Shapeways order was on Aug 21st so it obviously didn't manifest then.

FYI:

Wikipedia / Google / Facebook / Microsoft comes up as IE10 mode / doc mode: Standards.
    LinkedIn comes up as IE9 mode / doc mode: IE9 standards.
    Apple comes up as IE10 mode / doc mode: IE9 standards.

>>> Could it be that you have some shapeways-specific browser setting

Can't imagine - I've never had a reason to set-up a site-specific browser setting with the exception of marking some sites as trusted / allowing pop-ups.
    This workstation is 2 years old with an original vanilla win7 64 pro install so it hasn't collected a great deal of history. It has a fair amount of software installed though. It is kept up to date with Msft updates.

Alan