Spots on Premium Silver, How come?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by designsoul, Oct 15, 2013.

1. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    Hi,

I recently ordered an item in Premium silver, and it came out with some spots (1-3mm) on it that were darker than the surrounding silver. It does not come off, not even with cleaning wipes, so it really seems to be in the material itself.

Check the image.

Silver - spots.jpg

Does anyone (staff at Shapeways?) have an explanation for this?

Thanks,

Ralph

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Perhaps some polishing compound? I'll investigate. Have you contacted service (reprint or not, it's good to give them feedback positive and negative).

Do you have any larger photos you can share? If you don't want to make them public, send them to service and they'll keep them internal. If you want, you can email them to me as well so I can help investigate.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    What you see on your part is referred to as firescale. Which is an oxide of copper which forms on the surfaces of sterling silver during the casting process. Usually this is just on top of the surface of a casting but sometimes it can form slightly below (microns) the surface. Firescale needs to be removed either chemically (before polishing) or mechanically during the polishing procedures. Sometimes a polishing technician might miss a spot or two which I think is what has happened here. :blush:

-G

4. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
  5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Like Numarul7 said in the other thread: