Need help with sizing

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Sodori, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Sodori
    Sodori Member
    Save lots of time, read EDIT at bottom first.

Hi,

Making a bowl out of ceramik, though this would be a good start and all for me not to mention I would like it in general.

This is what the site is saying as dimensions:
    I am working with inventor and exporting it as a STL file. Also just to mention on my software I have designed it to be Ø200 and it's about 140 mm heigh. Yes I have largened it a bit because your software keeps telling me it is too small (Originally I'd hope for about Ø150 and I believe 110-120 mm heigh). Can someone help me? Am I screwing up on the dimensions or something?? On the materials chart is clearly states that min bounding box (and I am just assuming this is what I need to look for) is x+y+z ≥ 120mm. Do I have to play foul and just place a orb somewhere or something to trick the system?? xD

EDIT: Herp derp I just realized your site think it's in short 2cm big ie 20mm xD How is that?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Currently your models bounding box is 20mm x 14.12mm x 20mm. So it looks like your having a units issue. It looks like Inventor is exporting as cm and you're uploading as mm. If you scale your model up by 10, export, and reupload as mm again you should be at the correct size.

3. Sodori
    Sodori Member
    Yes I see it now! If one goes to export -> STL and options, I can set my units!

Thanks a lot, that's a major herp derp from my part!

4. I have a similar question - using the 2D to 3D - oriented bounds In: 0.328w x 0.684d x 0.03h ; cm: 0.832w x1.738 d x 0.076h
    how does this translate to height and width of the object? Does this mean the width is 10X the height? The corresponding image doesnt reflect this.

Thanks,
    DRI

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Short answer: Yes, that is what it means.
    Looking at the two models in your shop, you have some flat little panels floating separate from the main body. Those little panels would be causing the trouble here. (make sure you look at the item in the 3dviewer)

You should check your uploaded image to make sure there are no thin black lines around the edges of the image. That would cause this, and those thin floating panels would be the cause for a rejection once the item is ordered.