Problem getting my textures uploaded with my model (using cinema 4d)

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 49848_deleted, Sep 26, 2013.

1. 49848_deleted
    49848_deleted Member
    Hi all!

How do I export my cinema 4d model to shapeways in such a way that my textures are uploaded together with the model?

When i upload the .dae file, the model works but my textures are missing:
    [​IMG]

when it's suppose to look like this:
    [​IMG]

So i guess its not putting the textures i've made in the .dae, but when i zip my 'tex' folder together with the .dae file shapeways comes up with a "Oops. We can't process this file." message..

anyone know what to do?

2. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    That may be the problem right there... Doesn't Shapeways want the texture file in the same folder as the .dae file, not in a sub-folder? Move it up to the same level, get rid of the subfolder, and try it that way.

3. 49848_deleted
    49848_deleted Member
    Thanks for your respons

I just tried it, but no luck!

can it be the way i zip the file? i just use apples "right-click-compress-file"

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    To be pedantic, the .dae file and texture should in the same folder, but when you zip them, no folders are initially involved. SImply select both files (click on one, ctrl+click on the other) and then right-click and choose Send To --> Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

The Model should point to the Texture in this final location, not in some sub-folder. Look at this thread for more info 73352

All the above relates to Windows OS.

Good luck.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
  6. 49848_deleted
    49848_deleted Member
    [​IMG]

This is the status now.

I tried following the help from the page you posted, but to no help.

When i upload the model + the textures zipped with no folders, I get an error message about no geometry.

When i just upload the model with no textures, the geometry works fine, but is missing the textures.

I'm really baffled here, anyone got an idea what im doing wrong?

7. AmLachDesigns
    Perhaps if you put the files you are uploading on this forum it may be more obvious. (Mesh only, zipped mesh + texture).

Maybe it is my warped sense of humour, but it seems odd that while SW finds no geometry it still wants you to change the units...

8. mkroeker
    The "no geometry" thing does not make much sense - perhaps the software did not like something about the texture, and
    threw away the dae file. (And the suggestion to change the units is then probably in the sense of "... maybe then I will see the
    geometry").
    I can only come up with pretty lame suggestions, as I do not know much about cinema4d or dae files - make sure that your
    texture files have not been corrupted somehow (i.e., they should load in some image viewer). Perhaps try to open the .dae
    file in a text editor and look for the "<image id=..." entries that should declare your textures - are there any at all (if not, uploading
    textures together with the dae file will only confuse shapeways' software), and do they contain the correct file names ?

9. 49848_deleted
    49848_deleted Member
    Ok, ive uploaded the files here, and i also tried to open the .dae file in textedit and it seems to know where all the textures are as you can see here:

[​IMG]

dont mind the red underlines, its just set to danish language.

Attached Files:

10. AmLachDesigns
    Hi,

I accessed your file, and when I went to unzip it a message popped up about keeping encryption for folder _MACOSX and demanded a response.

Maybe it is something to do with this? Should it be there at all?

11. 49848_deleted
    49848_deleted Member
    Just tried to zip everything with a zip program for mac called 'izip'

this was the new error message:

[​IMG]

12. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Why are you using a separate .zip program? Your Mac does that natively in the OS:

1) Select both files
    2) Right click for menu ([CTRL]-click if you don't have a right-click mouse)
    3) Select "Compress 2 items"* option

You're done!

*If you have more than two items selected, the number will be different.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  13. mkroeker
    The zip is not the issue - re-packaging without the mac-specific stuff did not help. Currently trying to modify the <library_images> section
    to look more like examples on the 'net in case it is a parser problem.

14. mkroeker
    Sorry, no luck here. You might want to contact service in the hope that they forward the issue to whoever wrote/acquired the DAE importer.
    In the meantime, you could check if your software allows exporting to VRML2 or X3D (it probably does, and the rules for uploading a zipped
    archive with the geometry file and textures are the same as for DAE)

15. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
  16. mkroeker
    Umm,. I guess you would know that better than me, but how does this mesh with Bart Veldhuizen's announcement of Collada DAE
    support on (June 12 that I already linked to above ?