Mention use of html tags on model edit page

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by mkroeker, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Seems there are still shop owners who are confused by the limitations of the editor field for model descriptions.
    One solution could be to expand the text that now reads "Click to edit" to include "(use html codes for formatting)" or similar.

2. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Even better would be to enable the same text editor for shop item descriptions that we use here... Why have two different interfaces for the same task?

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The forum is a commercial product. The shop descriptions is custom code that Shapeways developed themselves.

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    It seems I am still one of them! I knew about <p> and <br>, but when I tried to use <i> and <em> they apparently did nothing. Anyone have a list of what works?

5. mkroeker
    Does this thread help ? (I really should have tried
    my own examples in that other message before posting)

6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Yes, it does, thanks.

Don't really understand why there would be a partial implementation, though. Ho hum...

7. mkroeker
    I guess one guy wrote (or dug up) an editor component that understands all HTML tags, and some other guy used the site-wide css style sheet to override all the "normal" meanings of <i>,<b>, <em> :confused

8. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
  9. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Are there any codes or character strings you can use to define a block of text such that anything inside the block is immune to html coding?

10. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    I believe the
    Code:
    <code>
    tag does that... in fact, I just used this editor's version of that to show the tag in this post. Recursive HTML! "Yo, dawg, I heard you like code in your code so I put some code in your code so you can code while you code..."... or something like that...

Of course, the DISadvantage of that is that it changes to a mono-spaced font in that block.

EtA: Nope, never mind... apparently that's another ignored tag. I just tried it in one of my items and all the HTML in the code tag still worked.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  11. mkroeker
    Use <pre> if you want to keep the browser from rearranging line breaks and paragraphs - however there is AFAIK no html tag to switch
    off interpretation of <....> as tags, so you would need to write them as &lt; and &gt; in any case.

12. kitcase
    kitcase Member
    Hello,

Thanks for moderating! It is really helpful and already have learned a great deal as a shop owner!

Is there a simple list of HTML code for the Product editor that works in Shapeways for things like: Text size, Bold, etc....

Thanks!

Christopher