Welcome to the ShapeJS Forum

Discussion in 'ShapeJS' started by AlanHudson, Sep 12, 2013.

1. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Welcome to our forum for ShapeJS Beta. Shapeways is launching a new system to create 3D printable objects. ShapeJS is a Javascript language that makes it easy to create customisable 3D objects. We provide a web-deployed system to easy edit and visualize the scripts. Once you're happy with the object you can print it for yourself or quickly turn it into a creator for others to use.

ShapeJS is a partner in the Shapeways API ecosystem. A common question we get it is how to create printable objects. With ShapeJS you can easily make items. The underlying system is a voxel based system. A voxel is similar to a 2D pixel but it represents a volume element in 3 dimensional space. ShapeJS provides mechanisms to easily set the desired voxels using a series of data sources and transformations. A common operation is to take a 2D image and map it into a 3D object. You'll find lots of examples that create some really interesting objects from a simple 2D image.

The system is currently in beta. We are looking for feedback on the language itself, the operations it supports and the user interface of the visualizer. Once we leave beta we'll offer backwards compatibility between releases. Until then please understand the language might change in incompatible ways in response to your feedback. Please use this forum to suggest improvements and share scripts you develop with others.

Try out the new system at https://shapejs.shapeways.com and give us feedback.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Where can one find this 'ShapeJS' thingumbob?

Cheers,
    Paul
    [hr][hr]

[edit] no worries - found it
    jeez - surely someone advocating a coding system can get to grips with adding https:// before a link and even maybe using BB URL tags to provide a live link
    yours,
    a 1980's script kiddie ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. stop4stuff
    Upon heading to https://shapejs.shapeways.com/creator/ I get 'Message from Webpage: Status: error : Error; No Transport'

Is the page constricted to any particular browser - JS is a M$ version of JavaScript so should work for me on IE 8.0, but it don't like it.

Help. (pls)

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Do you have WebGL support ? IE8 certainly does not have it natively, you would need something like the plugin from iewebgl.com.
    I just tried with a pre-WebGL version of Firefox, and while the page does come up in it, it is immediately followed by a small popup
    that just says
    (Shapies might want to add a somewhat clearer message :D about missing WebGL support here at some time, but as it is currently
    in beta I guess they are more interested in seeing it work correctly when all the prerequisites are met)

5. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    This seems to go away after I click OK and wait several seconds. All the same, probably not intentional?
    Up-to-date Firefox, Windows 7.
    shapejs error cap.GIF
    Let's see...does it again every time I load a preset (the script loads) or click the "run script" button. Scripts don't seem to run, anyway the display pane at right stays black.

OK, it works in Chrome. But I'd rather it worked in Firefox...thx.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  6. AlanHudson
    Something is going on with Firefox as we have two computers in the office with the same Firefox version(Windows 7), one works the other doesn't. We'll dig into it, thanks for the bug report.

7. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Well, that was quick. Thanks. :)

I also can't open the X3D files in Netfabb basic, I see this when I try:

Netfabb Capture.GIF

This makes me sad because the other two options offered for X3D readers don't appear to have export capability. (The InstantReality one looks just weird -- don't wanna download that on general principles.)

8. AlanHudson
    I know the InstantReality people personally so I'd trust their software. They have a command-line tool called aopt which can convert the files. I usually use Xj3D which is a command-line Java tool but its not really friendly to install.

We could add STL export support but it will require a new file generation as were using X3D files for viz. Plus when we add color support it won't work in STL.

9. stop4stuff
    Not sure how things currently are from previous errors, however from my perspective, everything looks fine - quite a serious bit of kit imho.

Paul

10. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I only started this weekend with ShapeJS, having no experience with javascript. So i tried to make my key sleeve easier to change by using the parameters key thickness, radius, text and hole radius and distance to center.
    shapjss.PNG

It worked and I'm very happy. But my question is, now what? How can I sell this to customers? I already sell my key sleeve with co-creator, and now I'll be able to adjust the model quicker than with SolidWorks, so that is a plus. But I would be happier if the customer could fill in the values and see the model before ordering it.

11. drloris
    drloris Well-Known Member