Cool stuff!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniverseBecoming, Sep 11, 2013.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I thought I'd make a thread for posting cool stuff that you like. :)

Like this video!

Can't wait to see how this 3D model creation method evolves! :D

woody64 likes this.
  2. bartv
    bartv Member
  3. UniverseBecoming
    Cool stuff alert! Look at this! :D

It won't be available till the 16th so I haven't tested it out yet to give an opinion, but it looks very promising for those wanting to do solid modeling and especially promising for those doing any kind of electronics related design and on that note they also offer free PCB (Printed Circuit Board) design software!

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Yeah I saw that one, too. I don't have a Windows pc to test this on, so I'd love to hear from you guys what you think!

Bart

5. UniverseBecoming
    I checked it out! This is amazing! It's a watered down version of SpaceClaim! Three things that I noticed right off are:

It uses DirectX 9 so it runs great on PCs with crappy graphics cards.
    It converts native Sketchup files directly to solids!
    It really is easy to use! The only thing I had to look up so far is how to pan, middle mouse button + shift.

I really like the functionality! I didn't know SpaceClaim was such a nice software. In their full version they've put a lot of effort into helping people convert polygonal files to solids and that right there is major kudos to me. As seen here. Some of this same functionality is in this DesignSpark version but I haven't had enough time to look into this fully.

Being that SpaceClaim is only around $2500 US, it's worth learning just in case I ever want upgrade to the full version, so I'll most definitely use this on my next engineering type project and learn its intricate workings!

6. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    I played around with it for a few minutes, and noticed its ease of use :D The only qualm I have is trying to orbit the view around the object. I'm probably just missing something, but maneuvering was quite difficult.

7. UniverseBecoming
    When messing around with it, I happened to notice a setting in the File -> Options -> Navigation -> Spin, where one could select the option of having it spin centered on a selected object. Was that what you were wanting?

8. Very cool.I like it

9. UniverseBecoming
    Ok so I used DesignSpark the other day to design a few brackets for a device I'm building and I really love it! But wait! Look what else I found that they have going!

The DesignSpark Mechanical Challenge

First prize is £5,000 from RS Components and the first ever Ormerod 3D printer created by RepRapPro.

[​IMG]

Plus two-runners up will each get £2,500.

Basically, entries need to be constructed using DesignSpark and correspond to a theme of either Accessibility, Mobility or Green Living. Lot's more rules can be found here.

Cool right?!! YES! But wait, there's just one problem, you only have until Friday, 22 November to make your submissions! AWWW MAN! That's only 9 days! :D

I think I'll stop what I'm doing and try to make an entry before the deadline. :)

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Here's another interesting tool:

http://clara.io/scenes

It requires a WebGL-compatible browser, so Safari on OSX may not work.

11. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Some free mini car models from Honda.

12. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
  13. UniverseBecoming
    ^^ SO COOL! I WANT ONE OF THOSE!! :D

14. UniverseBecoming
  15. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
  16. UniverseBecoming
  17. UniverseBecoming
    I found a cool contest, it's the 3D Printed Car Design Challenge! First prize is $5000! WOO! HOO!

If any of you enter this I'd like to see your entry. Post it here if you want. :D

18. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
  19. UniverseBecoming
    ^ Yes! Really amazing and sooo COOL! :D

20. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member