Material Weight per cm ³ request on spec page!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by 210416_deleted, Sep 1, 2013.

1. I noticed we are increasingly seeing new applications where material weight is a major factor for our designs. This especially seems true for the people making the UAV/ROV remote control vehicles and other items that place high levels of importance on weight of materials used. I actually need these numbers myself so I can understand the rotational mass and springs required in certain of my projects applications.

For this reason alone I think shapeways should provide on the spec pages how much each material weighs per 1cm ³

Let me know what you think!

2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
  3. MSDS sheets are great, but when they are not provided for many materials. At the very least a raw weight# per cm3 from shapeways would be nice: https://www.shapeways.com/materials/plated-brass (no data sheet)
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/ceramics (no data sheet)
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/elasto-plastic (no data sheet)

See my problem? You had an answer that works for a few materials. But that doesn't solve the problem of not being able to at a glance know the weight:volume ratio of the material in question.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    "Raw" ceramic would be troublesome to measure. In it's raw state, it's got a significant amount of humidity, and the 'finished" weight is directly proportional to the surface volume.

If you'd like to do your own testing, you could purchase one of these: http://shpws.me/opag and then use your own micro-gram scale to measure them.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Another raw issue is with density of the print. All Nylon materials and Elasto are porous. So the raw part weight will be higher than the print. I'm sure with polishing the nylon and dying it, it can vary as well. Either way, I'll pass on the suggestion to see what the materials team can do.

6. that would be great. Even if were talking just ~ approximate weights I'm sure it would be helpful for at a glance information.

7. kenforst
    kenforst Member
    1.jpg I'm very new here, just received my first product, a stainless steel pendant. I still have to set up my shop.

My model could be adapted to be used for making earrings or finger rings.

I don't wear earrings, but even if I reduce the size of the pendant model, I'm concerned that their weight would be too much for comfort.
    I know this is very subjective, but having at least some ballpark guidelines about material weight per cm² would help a lot.

As for the finger ring, weight isn't so much a factor- I just want to know if I should just copy and adapt the existing model file and add the ring band to it, OR- are any of the ring-making software capable of doing a better job?

Thanks for your help.

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Actually you might be able to help here - you have got the object, and you know its volume (as you paid for it by volume, just remember to deduct the
    handling fee). Weigh it and you know the density of "stainless steel" - i doubt that we have to bother with the minute differences caused by plating, and
    the density of printed "stainless steel" items will probably vary a bit anyway due to variable bronze (infusion) content.
    For the brass, bronze and sterling silver it should be fairly easy to find density values on the internet - as items in these materials are cast, there should be no difference between the raw metal and the shapeways product.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Well there could be shrinkage. Weigh it and then do a displacement test. Divide the weight by the displacement and you'll have the weight per cubic cm of your object.

10. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    No need for displacement test - compare the actual measurements to the expected ones and adjust accordingly. I think the accuracy will be good enough.