Automated MeshLab Conversion

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 364503_deleted, Aug 1, 2013.

1. I'm looking for a way to automatically convert files in MeshLab. Or find a way to script that function in MeshLab.

In order for a model to successfully upload to Shapeways, I have to export them out of Maya as an .obj, load them into MeshLab, and export them as a .x3d file out of MeshLab. (No fixing of the models is necessary. I use MeshLab strictly as a way to get an .x3d file). The problem is that I have to go through MeshLab to get the file format I need, but there doesn't seem to be a way to script MeshLab. Every other part of this process has been automated, but I need a way to automate my file conversion in MeshLab.

Does anybody know of a solution for automating this, or at the very least, a work around?

Thanks

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi mvarnum,

is there a reason you can't just upload the .OBJ file directly? It's a file format that we support..

Bart

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    There is a scriptable meshlabserver executable included in the meshlab distribution.
    I have not tried it myself, but my first search hit for "meshlab scripting" looks promising

4. Every time I upload an .obj file, it shows up on Shapeways without its textures. It's just a plain white model.

Thanks mkroeker, I'll have to look into that. I'll report back if I find anything useful.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Shapeways has not implemented textures support for OBJ.