Tutorial Sections Need Overhaul

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by SEspider, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SEspider
    SEspider Member
    I've ran into a number of issues submitting and printing my first model/print.
    Thanks to a number of SW members, I finally figured out the issues...I hope. :D

However, had the SW tutorial sections been up to date and/or easier to follow, I (and others) would not be facing these errors
    Since I use Blender, lets start there. The Blender tutorials are very weak in explaining the setup and export process. They seem to be based on the pre 2.4 version of Blender's interface. Now, I'd be a fool to think it can be kept up to date with the latest version of Blender. Being a open source program, Blender tends to go through major updates like there's no tomorrow. Heck, we're already on version 2.68 and I just started using 2.67.

Regardless of the program's update speed, the fact of the matter remains the same. The tutorial section for Blender (and other programs) are out of date.

What more, there are no tutorials on how to include color/textures for Sandstone printing. I've ran into a small issue with texture sections/colors not showing up and I've seen others face issues with their textures shifting in the upload process.

And lastly, the Automated checker needs to be updated. MANY customers see a design they want but a week after ordering, they/we receive a email that the product was not printable do to a error on the designer's part. Be it wall thickness, size, etc. Then the buyer is put off from ever ordering from that designer again. There needs to be ONE print option for each upload for which the automated program checks the mesh/model for requirements like size, wall thickness, etc. Once it passes that inspection, the designer has the option to run the mesh through other product tests like Ceramics, then Metals. ONLY WHEN IT PASSES their respective product test does it become available for print/sale. Instead of all of them at once without testing.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can't afford to have my designs printed in every material just to ensure it'll work.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That reminds me, I need to do my weekly work on updating the tutorials. So yes we are working on updating them.

I'll be sure to add a texturing part to blender. I've had trouble getting it right as well.

Textures shifting after upload can be a rendering issue, but often can be a result of MeshMedic having to repair the model.

Automated Checking has been suggested often. Add your word onto the Preventing Rejections thread. Right now we're using posts and pages in the Suggestions section as "votes" for what is most important to the community.

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Re Textures and Blender, just to point out that you can also use Material colouring (one per shell) and also Vertex Paint to get a coloured model out of Blender, not just textures (I find textures too difficult!). Exported with .x3d, of course.

Maybe Bartv can add some more?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Yes, I will be using Bart as much as possible for that tutorial. I'm being forced to learn Blender from another source, so I'm getting a little better at it.

5. Ray_Zhou
    Ray_Zhou Active Member
    It will be useful to link some of the tutorials of basic operations of each software from around the web. That would save a lot of your work, However, the format and coverage may vary across different sources.
    Then have a section dedicated to exporting and uploading to Shapeways will be better, maybe can organize the topics more systematically, parallel to the whole work flow. Some of the existing topics are very useful, but seems only can apply to a specific software. (like hollowing object) I'd really like to see a tut on such a useful operation for each major software. what's the steps need to be taken. And what next I can do.
    And maybe also topics on how to deal with STL files with different softwares, and give a comparison on functionality. Pros may like to use all the fancy CAD programs, but like us beginners and casual users may need more help on free and open source titles (Blender, Sketchup, etc.)

If the tutorials can be organized not only in work flow steps, but also can be sorted by software, it will be much easier for us beginners to learn.

Hope can see more of your work coming out soon!

Cheers!

6. Youknowwho4eva
    It would be great if we could explain how to do everything in every software. The problem with that is 1) some of the software updates often, and/or has multiple versions out with slightly different methods. So we'd have to keep them up with updates. 2) We'd have to figure out how to do it to tell you how to do it.

The best way to learn how to do something in an individual software is from that softwares website. Or you can post on the forums, and find someone that uses the same software that can help you out. We have a great community for that.

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Many treasures are hidden in the forum - it just takes some time to search for them. (And sometimes it is hard to search as one does not know that a specific solution even exists - e.g. finishing options like matb63's impressive copper leafing of WSF hidden in an "It arrived" thread).
    Maybe it would help if certain threads or individual messages could be tagged site-wide as technical tips, or if messages/threads could be bookmarked on site in a similar fashion to the personal "Favorites" feature for models.