Let's celebrate Gold Plated Brass...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magic, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    It would be nice if everyone could try new materials without spending too much.
    To celebrate the introduction of Gold Plated Brass, I propose that all shop owners having models available with this new material choose at least one model and make it available with a very low markup ($1 or $2), so that everybody can try it.
    I begin with my New Dod Earrings available at $14.90:
    [​IMG]

Feel free to add your own models to this thread.

2. Thanks, Magic! I love this idea :)

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks Kate!
    I just finished modifying one of my dice to make it smaller (and thus more affordable).
    Here is the Mini D4 Shell Pendant at $12.90:
    [​IMG]
    Use it as a die or use it as a pendant!

Now, I let the other shop owners add their own contributions!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    We love this initiative and have selected the Sacred Crystal Necklace ! :D

Markup on Gold Plated Brass & Premium Silver = €1,5

Gold Plated Brass $37.51
    Premium Silver $71.04

5.jpg

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Great contribution. Keep them coming!
    On my side, I received my two models in Gold Plated Brass.
    the New Dod Earrings:
    [​IMG]
    The Mini D4 Shell Pendant:
    [​IMG]

They are simply fantastic! I am more than happy with this new material. It is very smooth and very detailed compared the Gold Plated Stainless Steel for instance. It really gives the feeling of precious jewelry...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Gold Plated Brass will stay, and this is good news. The prices have been adjusted though, and I wanted to make an update so that my previous posts would not be misleading: with a minimal volume and a minimal markup, the prices of the New Dod Earrings and the Mini D4 Shell Pendant are now $36.90 and $35.90, still very close from the new startup price which is $30.

7. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I got my brass/gold fishing lure back yesterday. It's more like art than something you would throw into the water on a fishing line! It's very shiny with excellent detail. https://shpws.me/oLQO

The sad thing is that the new pricing has more than doubled the price from$16.65 to $38.07, and that's for a very small lure. It was borderline competitive with high-end commercial lures before the pricing change but now it is not. I might put it in a frame and hang it on the wall but I doubt I'll risk losing it in a lake. Unless Shapeways can come up with a different cheaper metal option that supports these design rules it's going to be one of a kind, a real collector's item! Maybe I'll convert the design into a fish pendant or set of earrings and call it a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013