Full Color Sandstone question

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by leessmith, Jul 18, 2013.

1. leessmith
    leessmith Well-Known Member
    Hey all,

My son wants me to print out some little space ships that I made for him, I made some posters but now seeing me work on stuff for Shapeways he wants to get them printed.

I use 3ds Max and just cannot see any sort of workflow video on how to model for multi colour printing with Sandstone. It will be mainly greys, silver and some lighter colours for panels and windows.

Has anyone used 3ds Max to produce a model for printing in sandstone, any tips on how to assign colours to areas for printing correctly.

Cheers

Steven

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Check Full Color 3D Printing from 3dsMax in the "Tutorials" menu. (Though depending on your needs, there may be a simpler method that just assigns colors to individual faces - a.k.a. "vertex painting" instead of requiring to create an image texture for your object first).

3. leessmith
    leessmith Well-Known Member
    Hey,

yeh sorry I should have said I saw that but it seemed to just be a uv onto a flat surface.

I wasn't sure if I can create a multisub material with all the colours I need and then just assign an ID to the various polys (engines, panels, windows etc etc), but then I wanted to put a decal on the wing so I was back to wondering if it needs to be unwrapped and supply a single 2048 x 2048 photoshop files with the colours laid out.

It's a little confusing to figure out the right method.

Thanks.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you assign the pieces colors (as mkroeker mentioned), that should export in the vrml. Let me know if this works, or if you find another method as I'm currently working on updating the tutorials. I'd have to check, but you may be able to take your vertex painted model, import into another software like blender to add the label for UV mapping the decal on the wing. If you need any help with that feel free to send me the model and I can try it out and tell you how I did it.