Please help: minimum bounding box size error for small piece - don't understand

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 387403_deleted, Jul 6, 2013.

1. I'm trying to print this small piece (h x w x d) 9 x 53 x 14mm and got the following auto error message:

"Your model was too small for any of our 3D Printers. Our printers have a minimum bounding box size (h x w x d) of 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 cm / 0.098 x 0.098 x 0.098 inches. Don't fret, we have a tutorial explaining how you can scale your product: https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/converting-with-accutrans -3d."

This is a very small piece but I've printed other very small pieces before and not run into this error so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Intended material is bronze. I triple checked the SW file and the units are all mm to 4 decimals. Is it just a matter of thickening up the spindly clip portion of the design?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Chances are that you or your software made a scaling error (unintended mm/inch conversion or similar) during export.
    If it is an STL file, try loading it in netfabb studio basic (free from netfabb.com) and rescale there as neccessary.

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Even if you get it to load, the thicknesses are too small for any of the stainless variants.

4. InnerbreedFX
    InnerbreedFX Well-Known Member
    what software are you using...

I had a similar issue that took me a while to figure out using Autodesk123d.
    In autodesk123d it will export your model by a factor of 10 smaller than it should...
    I took the model into blender and scaled it by a 10 and it was fine.

you may have a similar issue??

5. I'm using Solidworks 2011. I opened the stl in Netfabb and somehow SW exported it much smaller than the dims. Strange I've never had that problem before. I scaled it up in netfabb until the dims were the same as the original model. Can't figure out why SW would fart that out this way but apparently it's not that uncommon. The advanced options on the stl export did have a discrepancy: inches instead of cm and I thought that might be the cause, but even after I changed it to mm the stl's being exported were still too small. I give up solving in SW and will just check scaling after exporting to stl. Smells like a bug in SW to me...