Impossible triangle

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by eriban, Jun 30, 2013.

1. eriban
    eriban Member
    Hi all,

Here's two items that I received today. I am very happy with the result. The quality of the printed items is good. The illusion also works well, at least when viewed with only one eye. When you view it with two eyes, the additional depth perception spoils the illusion, as was expected.

Image0180-resized.jpg

I am aware that I am not the first to have impossible triangles printed in 3D, but done like this, using cubes, I have not seen before. I think the cubes help to reinforce the illusion.

The photo gives some clues how the illusion has been realized, but in case you are curious about the 3D model, check out the following animation: http://eriban.deviantart.com/art/Impossible-Triangle-Animati on-376637539

These were prototypes. The next step is to have one printed in stainless steel.

Cheers,
    Erwin

P.S. Sorry for the poor image quality, but it's the best my ancient mobile phone can do.

2. coaster
    coaster Well-Known Member
    cool!!!! just pinched myself to make sure I am sober...............?????????

3. eriban
    eriban Member
    My stainless steel version of the triangle arrived last friday. It's great! I had chosen for the Antique Bronze Matte finish and think it looks really good. Now I just need to find a good use for it.

DSCN0097b.jpg
    DSCN0097d.jpg

Btw, you may notice the improved image quality compared to the photo of the prototypes. I got myself a digital camera just so I can properly show off this model. I figure it's a good investment as I will quickly get the money back from the sales that will undoubtedly follow. Oh, did I mention I opened a shop? Well, I did, and there you can in fact find some more images:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/1144507/impossible-triangle. html

Cheers,
    Erwin

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Very impressive indeed. Congrats! :thumbsup:

5. Adela
    Adela Shapeways Employee CS Team
    I love the stainless steel version so much!
    I was staring at it for quite a while and then I gave up. :D
    Great design indeed! The idea to include cubes is really cool!

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    Oh. Yes! I love this :)

7. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    Yes I love this... very convincing illusion! Well done!

8. eriban
    eriban Member
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@Bart: I plan to drop by at Usine next week. I will then bring along this triangle, so you and others can see it in real life.

Cheers,
    Erwin

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    AWESOME!! I'd love to see that! (with one eye ;))

Bart

10. Vidalcris
    Vidalcris Member
    Awesome idea, well done ;)