Customer's Custom Minifig Robot

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Tresob, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    I guess this isn't a "just arrived" since the customer painted the parts before sending me the pics, but it's my first time seeing these parts assembled.

The customer ordered parts from about four or five different items in my shop, painted them, and used them to upgrade a Hasbro Kreon into an intergalactic space robot.

I was excited, so I thought I'd share the pictures he sent me:

rfcustomrobo1.jpg

rfcustomrobo2.jpg

rfcustomrobo3.jpg

And if you rearrange the parts, you get this spaceship:

rfcustomvehicle1.jpg

2. wedge
    wedge Member
    looks good :)

3. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    Thanks, Wedge!

4. 96635_deleted
    96635_deleted Member
    So awesome!

5. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    You know, that would have made a much better shop name than the one I came up with...

"So Awesome!" by Tresob

Anyway, glad you like it! The guy does a great job painting those little fellas. If Shapeways ever starts doing customer spotlights, you should definitely contact him.

6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    That's a "So Awesome" idea, Tresob! - Shapeways, how about sending a notice in each package, or an email with each order, offering CUSTOMERS - not makers - the chance to enter a monthly contest simply by sending either awesome photo's of what they purchased, or a unique paint job, mash-up, whatever?

As maker's we aren't always able to get every single item we design printed for ourselves and thus cannot photograph them. If the buyer can be encouraged to send in photo's (giving permission for us to use them) then we have winners all round...

7. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    Thanks! I'd say about 90% of everything I've uploaded to Shapeways has been work that a customer has requested...so I rely almost exclusively on customers to send me pictures and let me know how things turned out. Anything that would encourage them to show off their toys would be very handy, indeed.

8. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    More little robots images came in from a customer this morning.

I did the helmets and vests and backpieces on these little guys (as well as the shoulders and dinosaur head on the Beast Wars characters). Well, it's pretty easy to tell which are the printed parts and which are the parts from official toys.

Attached Files:

9. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    Another round of customer photos came to me by way of a link to Vanhound's Customs Facebook Gallery. Not all of the images feature my Shapeways work, but a lot do...

Perhaps the most impressive images are of the customer's handpainted renditions of my "Tremble" figurine. (That large figure behind them is an official Hasbro toy...but it's the size of a Lego mini-fig. I have no idea how the customer painted these with so much detail.) He also painted my "Pause" and "Fast Forward" minis, but the picture is a little blurry...as his vision is by now, no doubt.

10. wedge
    wedge Member
    Nice!
    You need a good brush, good color and a little practice. ;)

by the way. Yesterday my first kre-o set arrived, and my lego Stuff will also fit teh cre-o Mini Fig.

11. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    I can't quite decide whose mini-fig I prefer. I like the poseability of Kreons, but Lego people still strike me as more solid. Unfortunately, my little robo-vests are a little too broad in the shoulder for a Lego. I did make a conversion torso for lego fans that would give a lego minifig a square torso, but I haven't actually printed it yet.

12. Ray_Zhou
    Ray_Zhou Active Member
    It looks great!

13. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    Here are some more customers' pics that I just received:

bh prime.jpg

(I rendered the torso, legs, hand gun, wings/jetpack on the figure above)

impactor.jpg

(I rendered the helmet, vest, shoulder cannon, and spear-hand.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013