latest ring and box with steel logo and keyring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by leorolph, Jun 20, 2013.

1. leorolph
    leorolph Member
  2. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    A quick question for anyone that can answer. Concerning the texture behind the crosses and infinity character, if I added a noise texture to the model in this area would it reduce the print lines and give a more even texture to print?

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yes, adding a texture is a common method for obscuring print lines.

Another option applicable here, if you wanted to do the work, would be to enamel this area.

Also, one other option I can think of would be to add a layer of polymer clay and bake it in to get something like this.

4. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    thanks. usually i tarnish silver with bleach then pollish back the outer surfaces (image below) but with this ring I kinda like it all silver.

IMG_3967 logo.jpg

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Which finish did you order the ring in? Normally with rings I order in the standard finish, and use my dremel to polish as I wish. If you sell them well, you could probably find a jeweler that will give you better pricing than one piece at a time.

6. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    so far from many rings ordered, I have only had this one ring in polished silver, normally I use a tabletop polisher, dremel, sand paper, file and grinder. even with the polished ring the inside was not at all polished and took quite a bit of sanding and polishing to get nice... I was quite happy with the polishing done on the outside, though I did give it a bit extra.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Have you tried glossy yet? More price but hand polished.

8. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    no. Its a bit expensive for my selling price, and Im a bit nervous about loosing the detail. I can get it to a high polish myself... I kind of enjoy doing some work myself.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    :D I like that attitude!

10. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    I think so to... since starting 3d printing jewelry (background graphic design and multimedia) I now have a small jewelry making room and most the needed equipment to make it from scratch, just teaching myself, and picking up the skills... really enjoy getting my hands dirty.

11. UniverseBecoming
    That's funny you should mention that and put that image up being that I am currently experimenting with different types of patinating processes. I tried hard boiled egg, but it wasn't dark enough for my liking. I tried liver of sulfur and didn't like the midnight blue black color. So, just a little while ago I ordered a hydrochloric acid / tellurium based product that will definitely get it to the black that I'm interested in.

However, your black in this image is exactly what I want! :D I knew of the bleaching method using sodium hypochlorite, but in the images that I saw for this method it seamed to be more a soft gray than black. Yet, your result looks great! How did you do that exactly? :D

12. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    normal, everyday cleaning bleach, it will go pretty much pitch black if left for long enough. Put your silver object in the bleach completely covered and leave it ... 5 mins will go medium gray, 10 - 15 min will get dark grey and so on.... the most I have done is about 30mins and it was pretty much black. Try for 5 or 10 mins first, give it a wash and if its not black enough you can just put it back in to darken further. I also find it will darken a bit more over the next few daya/weeks.

13. UniverseBecoming
    Thanks for the reply! :eek:

After making that post I immediately went down to the grocery store and picked up some concentrated Clorox bleach and dipped my ring in it for about 10 seconds and actually watched it develop a nice dark gray patina. Amazing results! Almost black like yours!

I don't think I'll be using any of the liver of surfer or the hydrochloric acid with tellurium for doing patinating since I really love the dark shade of gray to almost black I get from the concentrated Clorox bleach. I also love the bleach cuz the odors it gives off are nothing compared to the hydrochloric acid or the liver of sulfur odors.

It's a good thing I saw your image, cuz had I not seen that I don't think I would have tried bleach given that I thought it produced light shades of gray. :)

14. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    good to hear.
    I have been using the bleach for a while now and have been fairly happy with the results but am now trying to get a piece really black and it just goes a sort of graphite black darkness and wont go any further, Im wondering if liver of sulfur gel would get it blacker.. have you tried the gel? I have heard the gel will get it quite black if left long enough.

15. UniverseBecoming
    Yes I have the gel. From what I saw with the one time that I used it, it did get very dark, but it had a kind of midnight blue shade that I didn't like and it still wasn't black, it was more like a very dark blue gray. About as dark as the bleach, but without the blue tint.

As for getting supper black, I think this stuff might be what you want. I have some but haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to get you the blackest black possible.

16. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    Thanks, though don't like my chances of getting that Midas stuff delivered to Australia "Hazardous items cannot be shipped internationally.", and couldn't find any easily online here. :confused

17. UniverseBecoming
    How about this supplier? Here's the catalog page, item number three.
    [​IMG]
    Though I gave you the Rio Grande link, that's not what I purchased for myself. The product I got off either Amazon or eBay is actually the item number 3 in this catalog called Griffith Silver Black. The same formula is sold under a number of names since I guess no one has a patent on it.

I did find another place too in Australia. See the last page of this PDF, bottom right, Jax Silver Blackener. I looked up the MSDS and its the same chemical formula as the other blackening products.

18. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    wow thanks!!... you seem to have done all the hard work for me :)

19. UniverseBecoming
    :D

20. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    Another extruded logo for placement on jewelry boxes, this time for the women's rings, it also being my official personal logo. I might infill the "R" with black or red or maybe polish back the top surface to a shiny metal finish. you can see some of my other creations and wips on facebook here

https://www.facebook.com/RolphJewelry

or on Etsy here

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/CurryTree

IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4113.jpg