missing texture for color printing?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 174228_deleted, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Hi,

I'm trying to upload a model with color for printing. I've created the model in Maya. I exported it as an .obj. It has the file texture applied. I import it into Meshlab, and the colors are there. I zip the resulting .x3d file from Meshlab and the texture file (.tif) together and upload. It gets kicked back saying it can't find the texture. I'm choosing face color when I export the .x3d file. I took a look at the top of the .x3d file in notepad, and the texture seems to be at the root, as it were:

<ImageTexture url="baked_v04_final.tif"/>

Can somebody help? I'm uploading the file, just in case...

thanks,

JP

Attached Files:

2. Also, I extracted the .zip - and the .x3d and .tif are sitting there next to each other as happy as two peas in a pod.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Use netfabb studio basic to run a standard repair - as is, netfabb reports pretty extreme size&location for your model and does not recognize
    any closed hulls.

4. mkroeker
    Also, the imageTexture node takes single quotes around the double-quoted file argument,
    <ImageTexture url=' "baked_v04_final.tif" '/>
    which probably caused the original upload problem.

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I thought the texture formats had to be JPG or PNG.
    You might try converting the TIF to JPG and update the url appropriately, then try the upload again.

6. mkroeker
    Gah. Converting his texture to png was the first thing I did, forgot to mention it as I was in a hurry.
    Still believe the geometry issues are real, though perhaps shapeways mesh medic manages to fix
    them automatically during upload.

7. All I did was change the texture format to .jpg, and it uploaded. I saw it with the correct texture and I ordered it. Yeah!

Now, all I gotta do is wait for the "thin walls" email. haha!

I don't know what that netfabb program is, but the model is sitting at the origin, transforms are frozen, and it is closed. I did not have to add extra quotes to the .x3d file.

8. It's being printed! No thin walls! Yeah!