The Sphere Cup

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Magic, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I had not designed a coffee cup for a long time. The previous one was the Moebius Cup I think.
    So here is a new one.
    The Sphere Cup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This cup should contain 50ml of coffee, enough for an espresso.
    Its design is very simple: it is only made of spheres and planes. the advantage of the sphere is that it contains a maximum of volume for a minimum of surface.
    I used a new technique of modeling to insure a constant thickness and no sharp angle.

I hope you will like it. Any feedback is welcomed.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not sure if this is the feedback you wanted, but "the model is private" :)

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    :laughing:
    Sorry about that (kind of beginner's mistake, shame on me!).

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I realize that perhaps it is not easy to understand the shape of the handle: it is a flat portion of disc filling the void left when removing from the initial sphere another sphere of the same size. A second disc makes the bottom of the cup.
    I added a picture, upside down, to clarify:
    [​IMG]

5. mkroeker
    Looks good as a conversation piece, but probably not easy to grip and might get uncomfortably hot ?

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Well, I hope you can put your fingers far enough from the hot inner surface, but this is something to check. Regarding the grip, the model is quite small and even with coffee inside, it will e relatively light, so I hope you can grab it!
    But, this being said, you are right: I designed this cup more with aesthetical considerations in mind than functional ones :D.

This will be also the case with my next cup that is currently being uploaded....
    Stay tuned.

7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I took me more time than expected because my first version was too big (100ml) and thus too expensive: like the Sphere Cup, this new version should contain 50ml of espresso.
    Here is the Not So Concave Cup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is an upgrade of the Concave Mug: its new shape is more efficient in terms of capacity (that's why I made it smaller). But it is not as concave as the initial shape, thus its weird name.
    Only the inner sphere should be hot (hopefully :)).

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Thumbs up!!

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks Bart. I ordered both of them this morning. I will post pictures as soon as I receive them.

10. mkroeker
    Concave cup rocks :)

11. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thank you mkroeker :)

12. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
  13. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Concerning the Not So Concave Cup, even if it is not as a suitable cup as I expected, I love the shape so I will keep it. But I decided to rename it. When I showed it someone told me that it looked like an hypercube. And this is true. So I decided to rename it Hypersphere, and I designed its little brother, the Hypercube.
    [​IMG]

What those objects are intended for? I let you decide! Personally, I just love them!

But instead, I have good hope that the Half-Hypersphere will be suitable as an espresso cup.
    [​IMG]