materials FAQ

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 696_deleted, Jul 22, 2008.

1. 696_deleted
    696_deleted Member
    Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I can't find a description of the various materials. I'm guessing 'White Strong & Flexible' is stronger and more flexible and has less detail than 'White Detail' but maybe there is more to it than that (and the small price differences).

-

2. joris
    joris Member
    rgc,

I'm sorry you did not easily find our "materials" page. Tomorrow I'll sit with some colleagues to go through how we can make that page easier to find.

This is the link to the page that gives you more information about the different materials:

https://www.shapeways.com/about/material-options

Should this not be sufficient, please tell me and I will explain it in more detail.

Joris

3. 696_deleted
    696_deleted Member
    that's exactly what i was looking for, sorry i couldn't find it either. i'm awful at UI design, so i won't try to help suggest a better place for it. thanks.

4. gigatony
    gigatony Member
    Hi, (more) info about minimal thickness would also be welcome (I think).. especially for people with a tight budget ;)

5. joris
    joris Member
    Thats a good idea also. We will add this as soon as we can.

6. 1163_deleted
    1163_deleted Member
    One question: is there any of the materials which gets liquid under high temperature? Because without it, it's very difficult (for me) to make a metal object from it. :cool:

7. joris
    joris Member
    Freeone,

The White Detail and White Transparent materials have melting points which are quite low.

All of our current materials are plastics so have comparatively low melting points.

But, If I understand you correctly your ultimate goal is to print a metal object?

8. 1163_deleted
    1163_deleted Member
    My target is, to finally make a cast metal object. If there is a plastic stage before that, who cares:) Anyway, thanks for the answer, i know what i wanted to know..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  9. speedevil
    speedevil Member
    It'd be interesting (for me at least) to have a small sample of each available material.
    Perhaps a small item, with minor differences, made with each process?

10. joris
    joris Member
    We'll look into this. Right now we have some small objects on the site but nothing suitably tiny so you can order samples on the cheap. We'll see if we can cook up something.

11. janis
    janis Member
    White Strong and Flexible Strength: Highest

mm.. can there also put the kN/mm² values in it.. how strong it really is.

are there coming more materials? like flexible that can be put on a UTP cable?

and is it possible that you can put the color black in the product.. because if it's pained it will not be nice..

groetjes..

12. joris
    joris Member
    Janis, we do have those values, and we will add them to the next version of the materials page.

It is more flexible than a metal sping. I'm not sure if it is comparable to UTP.

We are working on a lot of new materials and colors and will update on that soon.

13. janis
    janis Member
    maybe also bolling point when it's start to melt..

14. joris
    joris Member
    Good idea!