Octopus

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 314972_deleted, Jun 6, 2013.

1. I'm working on an octopus that I want to print in stainless steel. This will be my first model in metal. I'm going to hollow out the head so there will be a hole at the bottom. I also want to make 2 holes for eyes that will let you see inside the hollow head.

Do you think there might be any issues with doing this in metal?

steampunk_octopus.png

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    By metal you mean stainless (we also have silver with different design rules)? Depending on the scale you may have to dull down those tentacles some.

Side question, What software are you using?

3. Yes, it will be in stainless steel.

I was planning on moving the tentacles down so that the model stands on them. But what is the issue with having to move them down for printing?

I'm using Blender for designing the model.

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I.e. make less pointy. Both from the points perhaps being too thin to print and from the issue that it (depending on its size) looks remarkably dangerous/weaponlike.

And I'm sure you know this, but also depending on the size it will be quite expensive.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    As AmLachDesigns said, the problem can be with printing tiny pointy legs.

Are you planning on pulling down just the tips for him to stand on? In the firing process, you may get some warping and sagging if you have weight in the center supported by the outside. So don't be surprised if you do see the head sink a little bit. Of course depends still on size and structure.

6. Thanks for the feedback. I will make some changes.

7. I've make the tentacles less pointed. The head is smaller now and leaning backwards. The tentacles will eventually tuck in underneath the body. The scale at the moment is 5cm from tip to tip.

steampunk_octopus.png