Handling fee per model cost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 372113_deleted, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Hi there,

I am new to all this and looking to make a prototype for an idea I have.

I am going to need several hundred very simple identical pieces which will be approx 1cm cubed in size. What I wanted to know was whether the handling fee per model was applicable for each piece as that would make a huge difference in the cost (eg with sandstone where it would either be $0.75 or $3.75 per piece).

If someone could let me know I'd really appreciate it.

many thanks
    Frenchie

2. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    The cost is, basically, for each separate file you upload and order.

For some materials, a file is allowed to containt separate objects (e.g.WSF material). - see the material design rules.

However, to Shapeways the cost they have to account for is per each separate, distinct, loose item that the operator of the 3d-printer has to handle. I guess they would frown on a file containing a hundred separate objects.

The usual solution is to have the items attached to a "sprue" linking them all together.

Here is an example:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/857115/1-100-15-mm-pierced-ma cedonian-aspides-x-64.html

Greetings
    Dragoman

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  3. Dear Dragoman,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if the 'sprue' method would work for me as I need the pieces to fit together as snugly as possible.

Can I not upload one file and ask for it to be printed a couple of hundred times?

I think the answer is no, but I just wanted to check!

Thanks again
    Frenchie

4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Of course you can! And then you will pay a couple of hundred handling fees...

Why not send an email to service@shapeways.com and refer them to your model, tell them what you want to do and ask their opinion?

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Another alternative to sprues is to build a protective cage around the items:

http://shpws.me/nE2U
    http://shpws.me/nmmn

The intent of the handling fee is to prevent very very very tiny fragile items from being broken during printing/cleaning/shipping, and to prevent an expensive amount of manual labor to retrieve multiple individual parts out of the printer.

Think of it as.. if an item would break when squeezed slightly between your forefinger and thumb then it needs protection. If you have a large number of items to print in a single pass, they need to be "linked" so that they are effectively one item, and can be handled as one item. Sprues or Cages are two common methods.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  6. AmLachDesigns
    Hi Stony,

would the cage concept still work with Sandstone?

7. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I don't see why it wouldn't.. you would just have to adhere to the clearance and wall thickness rules.

It is a question that you should ask of Customer Service... or during the Ask An Engineer Fridays.

8. AmLachDesigns
    Well, I'm not that interested ...;)

But how does the superglue part of the process work - without gluing everything together?

9. Many thanks for all your replies. I guess I will get the piece modeled and see what Shapeways have to say. Will let you know how I go