Which service is SLA?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 352156_deleted, May 25, 2013.

1. I need to print in SLA? What does Shapeways call this?

2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    If by SLA you mean a pool of resin that is solidified by some kind of light (laser beam or full frame projection), none.

3. Why do you need SLA specifically? Our Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra detail use a photocured resin that is extremely similar to resins used in SLA.

4. Well it turns out that I can't use SLA. The parts are for use in continuous sunlight.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You will have trouble, even with most injection molded plastics, with extended continuous sunlight exposure. I believe Nylon (WSF and Dyed SF) would stand up the best physically over time. Dyed would possibly fade, and both will get dirty if not sealed.

6. Our White strong and flexible plastic will yellow over time if put under direct sunlight. Painting does provide relatively good protection from UV though.

7. We are currently using PET, and at least for the past year, it's been stable.

8. philatkin
    philatkin Member
    SLA is a service I would really like to see. The last 'Frosted Ultra Detail' order I received was frankly dreadful quality, and a long way removed from the theoretical resolution provided by the process. The support wax removal (or whatever the process is) left such a pitted ugly surface on one side of every print that I may as well have spent half as much and got a sintered object. They were not fit for purpose. SLA would solve this.

makersdepartment likes this.