very smooth, high gloss finish with polished WSF

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by durackdesign, May 21, 2013.

1. durackdesign
    durackdesign Member
    Hi there everyone!

Firstly just wanted to say what a great community! This forum seems to be really helpful and positive!

I just have a few quick questions when it comes to post processing polished WSF models. I know my questions have been asked in the past but I'm just interested in any updates.

Firstly it seems problems can be had due to the polishing process using soapy water and WSF's porous nature. It seems then if you try to paint or prime your model you could come into issues, as can be seen on this post:

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=3947 9&&srch=polished+soapy#msg_39479

Has anybody got anything conclusive on this?

I am looking to get a very smooth, glossy finish (much like an injection moulded part). I was hoping to achieve this by using polished WSF, then applying Tamiya white putty (made smoother by adding a small amount of nail polish remover containing acetone). I would then apply a few layers of spray primer, sanding every time. Finally I would then simply spray paint the model with a few coats of a glossy spray paint.

Has anybody in this community tried to achieve the same type of finish using polished WSF? And what successes and failures have you had?

Sorry for the bombarding of questions! I am just eager to learn and experiment as I'm sure you all are too!

I look forward to your replies and thank you in advance

2. durackdesign
    durackdesign Member
    so many views and noboday has anything to input?? Surely people on here have achieved this kind of finish before?

3. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
  4. you ever find a solution?

5. Hobbes010
    Hobbes010 Well-Known Member
    I haven't done this with pWSF, but I have achieved a smooth finish on normal WSF:
    1. wet-sand using 280 grit paper to take off the highest 'peaks'.
    2. Dip in Future a few times to fill the pores.
    3. Paint with a spray primer (Alabastine, in my case) until the texture of the WSF is invisible.
    4. Wet-sand with 1000 grit.

For polished WSF, you can skip step 1, but you may have to wash the parts to remove any polishing agent.